Author Topic: WDYTYA is coming to SBSTV in OZ  (Read 62786 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA is coming to SBSTV in OZ
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 November 07 06:48 GMT (UK) »
I've put it in the diary. Thanks for letting us know.

That'll be an expensive exercise if they end up flying all the Australians back to the old country/ies to find their roots!  ;).

At least in the UK series some of them managed to stay in the country.

Very excited.

Looking forward to it!

Offline ChristineR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 November 07 06:51 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if rootschat will be busier ;D

Cheers
cando

And the BDM offices will not be expecting the huge increase in certificate orders.  But it is on SBS  ;D  so perhaps it will not be as bad as the effect that it had on GRO in the UK when it first aired.  Also people commented at the time that the series made it look like that you could just walk into GRO and get what you wanted right away!

I cannot see the point in them showing the Pommy series here first, it is a whole different system, our certificates give so much more information, and we have no census data, so it will confuse people unless they are going to have a presenter to explain these differences.

Christine  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 November 07 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if rootschat will be busier ;D

Cheers
cando

And the BDM offices will not be expecting the huge increase in certificate orders.  But it is on SBS  ;D  so perhaps it will not be as bad as the effect that it had on GRO in the UK when it first aired.  Also people commented at the time that the series made it look like that you could just walk into GRO and get what you wanted right away!

I cannot see the point in them showing the Pommy series here first, it is a whole different system, our certificates give so much more information, and we have no census data, so it will confuse people unless they are going to have a presenter to explain these differences.

Christine  :)

Spot on Christine but perhaps it  may help/encourage some Aussies to look for their ancestors.  My English pals often comment about our informative certificates.  I remember how disappointed I was in my early [naive] days of researching, to receive the death cert of my ggg grandfather who died in Liverpool - the informant was a servant and he died from 'natural decay' and I had waited weeks for this first English cert   :(- I was so confident I would complete the family in England pretty quickly  :-[ - ......and I am still searching ;D ;D

Cheers
cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 November 07 07:18 GMT (UK) »

But surely, there must be a fair few £10 Poms around out there who will need to be familiar with both systems if they are to find their origins, and all those "orphans" shipped out from institutions?
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline ChristineR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 November 07 08:41 GMT (UK) »

But surely, there must be a fair few £10 Poms around out there who will need to be familiar with both systems if they are to find their origins, and all those "orphans" shipped out from institutions?

We all need to be familiar with both systems, unless we have no British heritage at all
- my point is that people who see the first series will be wanting to know how to start in Australia to research.  Though there is plenty of info on line.

Come to think of it, it is on SBS (not knocking SBS) so the targeted audience would be the British born  They can go straight back to the GRO records.
 ;D C

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 November 07 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Most of the folks mentioned for the Oz program are immigrant Australians (at one time or another). Apart from the original inhabitants Australians came from everywhere - but lots from Britain, so I think showing the British series would be really good for the large majority of Australians - unless one is only interested in the Australian side of the research. I find it so interesting to track the relatives of my immigrants who stayed in England/Scotland. I am still hoping to meet some of these more distant cousins one day. The life style my family left seems to have had a large influence on the life they/we had/have in Australia.

Trish

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 November 07 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello  there 

Jack  Thompson  was  born  in  Australia  in  Manly  but he  was adopted.   So  maybe  the program  will try  and find  his  "roots" 

The others  seem  to  be  a  mixture  of  second  and  third generation  Australis  all  of  them  being actually  born  in  Australia  allthough  I  don't  know about  this Dennis  Commett(  will  have to google  him)
regards Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 08 November 07 11:58 GMT (UK) »
dennis cometti was born in perth. i would say by his name he's from italian heritage. im sure they will all have european roots at some time except possibly kathy.
davey hodgson holliday nelson oxberry ruddock sunman Sidebottom
yorkshire
Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk included on your posts.

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 08 November 07 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello  there Kathy 

thank  for that  info re  denis commetti  now I  know  who  he  is

kind regards Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au