Author Topic: TMI for internet trees  (Read 678 times)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
TMI for internet trees
« on: Wednesday 26 December 07 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi, All!

Sometimes I shake my head at the "Too Much Information" I find on the internet.

I've been tracing the families of the siblings of my g-g-grandfather. 

Ancestry World Tree has info on one of his sisters, her husband and their children.   Although it  contains some errors, it also contains exact dates of some births and marriages, so I can try to find the documentation on my own. 

There is no contact name attached to the tree.  I searched but couldn't find the original tree anywhere.  (That's okay because I wouldn't want to share info with this particular person.)

This is included in the notes:

"...Family memory says he was often worst for drink and beat his wife.  A bit of a bad temper???"

"...Opinion...  The _______ family were a bad lot.  Grandfather _______ drank a lot and beat his wife...  A very short temper was inherited by _______ ."

Ahem.  Who on earth would put such information on the internet?

My guess is that it was someone not directly related to the family.  The tree does list some exact dates so this person either spent the money on certificates or was given the information.  My guess is that s/he was handed this info and felt no compunction against putting it all online, along with unkind (even if true) comments that amount to gossip.

I wonder if it was taken off-line after someone who was directly related complained about it? 

Here's a lesson:  even if you delete your tree, the One World Tree bots might have copied it already, which means your errors or TMI comments will live on. 

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters