Author Topic: Rice family  (Read 2533 times)

Offline mafric

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rice family
« on: Friday 28 December 07 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Help please....
up until today i always thought that my Irish family came from Dublin. Turns out according to the 1911 census that my great grandfather James Rice came from Co Fermanagh. Any ideas where i would be best to start? The only thing i have to go on is this 1911 census
 ( http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000077222/ )

Thanks
Marie
STAFFORDSHIRE -- Critchlow, Crutchley, Broadhurst, Meakin, Cordon, Corden, Berrisford, Hall, Heath, Ashley, Tittle, Bailey, Bayley, Webb, Wade

CHESHIRE Beamer, Bailey, Bayley, Ellis, Potter, Schofield

LANCASHIRE Conway, Beamer, Teasdale, Rice, Lees, Parkinson, Ellis, Potter, Palfreyman, Law, Schofield

DERBYSHIRE, Palfreyman

YORKSHIRE, Spence

IRELAND - Conway, Houlighan, Rice and Mahoney (DUBLIN), WOODLEY (COUNTY CORK, Leades house)

Wales - Pembrokeshire - Summers, Jenkins, Bowla

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rice family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 December 07 18:49 GMT (UK) »
From the census it seems as though James Rice was born c1874 (civil registration of births started in 1864) but like most research you need to work back to make sure you find the correct information.
James Rice's marriage should list his father's name and occupation. with that information you can start looking for a birth certificate which would list exactly where James was born (townland and parish, not just 'County Fermanagh') and with the place of birth established you could start looking for church records (if they still exist).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 October 08 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Marie,

When Griffith's Valuation took place in Co. Fermanagh in 1862 there were Rice families
in the following parishes ...  Aughalurcher, Enniskillen, Galloon and Kinawley. 

Christopher

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 October 08 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Here's the link to Griffith's Valuation (search by name or place). You can see scanned images of the printed Valuation and sometimes map as well.
http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_family_search_form.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!