Author Topic: Newspaper clipping - Whitby Artillery Volunteers: UPDATED!  (Read 2566 times)

Offline parpace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Newspaper clipping - Whitby Artillery Volunteers: UPDATED!
« on: Monday 03 January 05 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My father has the following (undated) newspaper article that refers to either his great-great-grandfather John Braim (born 6 May 1850), or his son John Braim (born 1878). I do know that the elder John was a builder in Whitby, but I'm not sure what his son did. Here's the article:

"Funeral of ex-Sergeant-Major Braim

The funeral took place at Whitby Cemetery on Saturday afternoon of the late Mr. John Braim builder and contractor, Whitby, the officiating minister being the Rev. J W Bowman, pastor of the West Cliff Congregational Church. The remains were followed by several members of the local section of Territorials and late Artillery Volunteers, and their number would, no doubt, have been larger but for the fact that very wintry weather prevailed and it was market day. Sergeant Dickinson, Sgt. Hill, Corpls Lawson, Hill, Harland and Bomd. Henderson, all Territorials, acted as bearers in carrying the coffin from the house to the hearse, and at the cemetery the coffin was carried to the graveside by members of the late Artillery Volunteers, of which the body of the deceased was an active member, rising to rank of Sergeant Major; those who acted as bearers were Sergt. Major Jowsey, Sergt W. Taylor, Quarter-Master Sergt. Fitter Wray, Corpl. Aaron Groves, Gunner J. Hill and Sergt. Anderson, R.A. (late instructor). There were about 30 Territorials and ex-Volunteers present, and Captain Cradock in command."

Unfortunately the little newspaper clipping gives no other clues, the reverse of the page merely provides information about sermons at the church.

Does anyone know anything about the Whitby Artillery Volunteers?

>>>> Thanks to the answer below, I've heard back from Scarborough Bereavement Services, and John Braim was buried on 3.12.1912. So that clears that one up, except for the question about the Artillery Volunteers.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper clipping - Whitby Artillery Volunteers
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 January 05 14:20 GMT (UK) »
I don't suppose you know when either of them died ie. did one of them die in the winter months but not the other?

The Whitby Archives Heritage Centre may have some knowledge/history of the volunteers:

http://www.whitbyarchives.org.uk/links.asp

If the following link is the correct chapel then it gives the dates of a Rev. BOWMAN (1906-1917) which might narrow it down a bit:

http://www.congregationalreformed.co.uk/history.html

One would also assume that your ancestor was probably a congregationalist then :-\

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline parpace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper clipping - Whitby Artillery Volunteers
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 January 05 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately I have no idea of either of their deaths at the moment. I was hoping that this little cutting might have helped out, but it looks like there's still lots to find out yet.

Thanks very much for the information, Casalguidi, you've given me plenty to think about...