Author Topic: Occupation on the 1861 census  (Read 3444 times)

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Occupation on the 1861 census
« on: Sunday 30 December 07 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone decipher this gentleman's occupation for me?  He is Thomas Hayhurst, residing in the 1861 census in Kirkby Lonsdale, Dist. 8, age 27, and b. in Lupton, Westmorland.  He is some kind of officer and registrar of births and deaths.

Not sure how to quote the index, so will just write what I see:  R.G.9   /    3968   page 8

Thank you for your time.-----Genealiza

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Occupation on the 1861 census
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 December 07 02:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

findmypast transcribes it as "Relieving Officer and Registrar of Births and Deaths"

that's how I see it too!

found this explanation :
Relieving officers were employed to receive applications for relief, and make payments when these had been approved by the Board. They also issued orders to admit people to workhouses.

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 December 07 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Barbara, Thank you so much for your quick reply and explanation.  I looked at the 1871 census and it looked like relieving also, but in 1881, he was a master of a workhouse.  Your explanation ties together these two occupations.  ----Elizabeth

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 December 07 02:12 GMT (UK) »
I also found this fascinating glimpse into the Poor Law Union and Workhouse at Reading, giving duties of the Relieving Officers
http://www.rootschat.com/links/02fp/

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 December 07 02:22 GMT (UK) »
The relieving officer's job sounds like it would keep one very busy.  I especially enjoyed reading that the wine and spirits were kept at the relief office rather than being rationed out by contracted tradesmen.  Thank you again for your help.--Elizabeth

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 December 07 11:42 GMT (UK) »
For the first few decades of Civil Registration most Registrars also had other occupations. As Registrars they were not salaried but paid on 'piece-work', which was not usually enough to provide a decent income in itself.

I have a table listing the additional occupations of 4075 Registrars in 1881, and much the most common is that of Relieving Officer (841). Many of the others were also Poor Law Union offcials of one kind or another.

Mean_genie

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 December 07 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you M-genie,  This helps to paint the picture of a very hard working man trying to make a living for his family.
---Elizabeth

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 December 07 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Completed