Author Topic: HMS Illustrious or Indomitable?  (Read 2575 times)

Offline Goofy

• RootsChat Member
  • If I keep looking I'm sure I'll find something!!
    • View Profile
HMS Illustrious or Indomitable?
« on: Sunday 30 December 07 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

My dad was in the Royal Navy working as an electrician on aircraft carriers.  I have a photo which is dated 1952 on the back and says HMS Illustrious.  I have been on the Royal Navy site and it says 'Lusty' was ordered in 1976 and commissioned in 1982!  :-\

I have recently been sent another photo of dad from his brother which was taken in Gibralter in 1953 on the HMS Indomitable.  This would fit better as the Indomitable was ordered in 1937, was commissioned in 1941 and later sold for scrap in 1955.  Can anyone help with the ID of this ship?? :)

(I have added another image which is easier to see)

Moderator comment: larger picture removed, since it was the same, but went over the edge of the screen  ;)
Bell - Newcastle/Northumberland
Hansford - Dorset/Somerset/Isle of Man/Jersey/USA
Lawton - Newcastle/Canada
Leaning - Brigg/Humberside/New Zealand
Price - Wales/Lancashire/USA
Shirt - Doncaster
Wilson - Brigg/Humberside

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Illustrious or Indomitable?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 December 07 12:07 GMT (UK) »
There have been five ships by the name Illustrious.  The current one as you say was launched in 1981.  The previous one was an aircraft carrier, commissioned in 1940 and in service until 1954.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 December 07 12:12 GMT (UK) »

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 December 07 14:48 GMT (UK) »
The picture you have here will be of the Indomitable as it shows a fixed wing aircraft landing on.
The Illustrious is what is known as a Through deck Cruiser, not a proper Aircraft Carrier as it could not land on or take off genuine fighter aircraft and therefore carried the Vertical take off craft Harrier jump jets.
That is not taking away the accomplishments of the Harrier by any means, but the amount of aircraft the Illustrious carried because of its size, put a large limit on its capabilities.
Hopefully in the not too distant future we will again have two genuine Aircraft Carriers.
I am unable to make out the type of aircraft that is landing in your picture, but you can see that it is landing on due to the cable that is attached to its undercarriage to bring it to a halt.

Salty
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 December 07 16:18 GMT (UK) »
The photograph appears to show a De Havilland Sea Hornet. This aircraft is known to have been flown from HMS Illustrious in the 1950s.  For the avoidance of doubt we are not talking about the current HMS Illustrious.
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 December 07 16:59 GMT (UK) »
I do apoligize, I am having so much trouble logging into this site lately that I got carried away with the fact that I could possibly help someone. Next time I will stop and think.

Salty
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 December 07 17:17 GMT (UK) »
The Illustrious is what is known as a Through deck Cruiser, not a proper Aircraft Carrier

Salty

Hi Salty,

I've always understood that the Navy called their new aircraft carriers 'Through Deck cruisers' to get round the political party in power at that time saying they would not order any more aircraft carriers.

It worked, didn't it!

Michael.

Offline Goofy

• RootsChat Member
  • If I keep looking I'm sure I'll find something!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 December 07 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone.  Little Nell, I will check out those websites and try and clear things up a bit.  Thanks Imber for the info on the plane.  Salty & Michael, you certainly know your stuff.  ;D

I gather that Illustrious was a "class" of carrier rather than the name of the ship so a bit more investigating I think!!!  ;D ;D ;D
Bell - Newcastle/Northumberland
Hansford - Dorset/Somerset/Isle of Man/Jersey/USA
Lawton - Newcastle/Canada
Leaning - Brigg/Humberside/New Zealand
Price - Wales/Lancashire/USA
Shirt - Doncaster
Wilson - Brigg/Humberside

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 December 07 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Not just a class, there was an HMS Illustrious in the 40s and 50s.  She was the first of her class, hence the class was named after her.

Nell