Author Topic: Familysearch (LDS) Digitising Project  (Read 8372 times)

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
Familysearch (LDS) Digitising Project
« on: Friday 29 December 06 19:32 GMT (UK) »
 I spent some time with my local LDS Family History Centre's library administrator the other week.

She gave me a show and tell lesson on the new software that is being used for the digitising project.  It's very easy to use!
The transcription pages come in batches of 50 names, so they are easy to get through -- and you have a week to complete each batch.

The LDS is now accepting outside volunteers for the project - you can sign up at:
 www.familysearchindexing.org 

There are tutorials available on line for the software as well.

Some Genealogy societies have already jumped on board - Indiana, New England and Ohio -   
When a society joins forces to help, they get to transcribe records with local interest.

So members here may want to bring this project to the attention of their own area Family History Societies?

I am not affiliated with the LDS Church, IMHO I think that this is a worthwile project to volunteer for.  After all the LDS has done for the genealogy community over the years, this is a very nice way to give something back.  :)

Current projects being transcribed are here -
http://www.familysearchindexing.org/fsi-admin/navctrl.jsf?pname=currentProjects

upcoming projects are here -
http://www.familysearchindexing.org/fsi-admin/navctrl.jsf?pname=upcomingProjects

Happy New Year everyone!  And happy transcribing!
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline Laverdiere

• RootsChat Senior
  • "Birdie" Wedderburn
    • View Profile
Re: LDS Digitising Project
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 July 07 18:40 BST (UK) »
This is a really great project!  They plan to digitalized and index all the microfilms.  It is really easy to index--if you don't get your batch of 50 names done in the time limit (1 week) it goes to someone else to complete.  Two people transcribe the same sheet and if there is a discrepancy another person will take a look.

Ultimately these records will be available for free.  Here is a preview of the Familysearch Record Search site http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html?datestamp=1182688113734

Laverdiere

Offline Laverdiere

• RootsChat Senior
  • "Birdie" Wedderburn
    • View Profile
Transcribing LDS Films--i.e. Indexing
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 December 07 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Please forgive this message if it is redundant--but I thought I would pass on the information for those who haven't heard.

The LDS church is in need of volunteers to transcribe (index) their microfilmed records--starting with the census.  The plan is to index all the microfilmed records in their collection.  Anyone can volunteer and the records will be put online for free. 

Sites:
http://www.familysearchindexing.org
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html?datestamp=1198421116187

This is a very user-friendly stress-free way to help.  Individuals download batches of about 50 names which take approx. 30 minutes to index.  It is then sent back to the server where someone else downloads the same batch to ensure accuracy.  If there is a conflict between the two batches an arbitrator is called in.

What is you--like me--enthusiastically download a batch and don't get around to it?  That's fine, since (usually) people have 7 days to complete a batch before it gets taken back and sent to someone else. At first I blanched at data-entry, but it's actually fun and addictive! 

At the moment the 1871 Canadian census is in urgent need of completion.  And I, personally, would like it completed as I have ancestors on that census.  :)

Laverdiere

Moderator Comment: topics merged

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: Transcribing LDS Films--i.e. Indexing
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 December 07 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant - Irish BMDs .....

Ta for the heads up  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: Transcribing LDS Films--i.e. Indexing
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 December 07 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Good idea, I'll get on to it.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline If Only

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Family Search indexing Project
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 December 07 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I had no idea where to post this, so here goes.

I saw a post last week (can't remember which section (*)) which really grabbed my attention.

The LDS Familysearch site are looking for volunteers to index the millions of records in their repository, so that we can all have access to them from home.
https://www.familysearchindexing.org

I volunteered because I can spare a little time to help...on a more selfish basis, as soon as I saw that the Irish BMDs were in the first group of records for indexing, I registeredlike a shot.

Each page (counting as a batch) has 375 names on it....I got 1888 marriages in the Ws to the end of the alphabet....none of mine in there.

My main reason for posting is to spur those Rootschatters with a little time to spare get transcribing....especially those, who like me, always bemoan the difficulty of getting information without taking out a second mortgage or travelling a lot (if one can).

Although the full indexes won't be published until complete, I had a thought that if those of us doing the transcriptions kept others inform of the years they were working on, we could help each other out.

Joe

(*) Moderator Comment: topics merged
Hickey, Graham (Offaly, Dublin, Scotland)
Maguire, Morgan (Cavan, Dublin, Louth)
Clifton (Kent)
Creasey (sussex
Davis, Judge (Ireland, Dublin, Kildare)
Metcalfe, Pratt (Yorkshire Dales)
Rice (sussex)
Brady (Cavan. Dublin)
Kent (Oxford,Kent, London, Sussex)
Patten (Essex, London, Kent)
Ridg(e)well (Toppesfield, Essex)

Offline Paul Caswell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me in my natural state
    • View Profile
Re: Family Search indexing Project
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 December 07 21:28 GMT (UK) »
I got Quebec, Canada, 1871.

Not sure of the district.

Caswell - Durham(Jarrow), Northumberland(Berwick), Dorset(Netherbury)
Drury - Middlesex(Kensington), Shropshire(Oswestry/Selattyn)
Turner - Dorset(Parkstone)
Speight - Essex(Braintree), Kent(Gravesend), Westmorland(Kendal)
Stockley - Dorset(Corfe Castle)
Amey - Suffolk(Haverhill)
Cousins - Norfolk(Ketteringham)
Sears - Bedfordshire(Potton), Cambridgeshire(Gamlingay)
Census information is Crown Copyright

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: LDS Digitising Project
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 January 08 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have some spare time and I can type, but before I volunteer and embarrass myself as I'm not technically minded, could someone please explain how it's done in simple language.

thanks
Bee
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lil growler

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Familysearch (LDS) Digitising Project
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 January 08 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bee

Like anything we try for the first time there are always a few reservations as to whether or not we can do it. To help you out http://www.familysearchindexing.org/en/index.jsp  this site is where you can have a look at the tutorial , click on volunteers and then help button at the top. This will be easier for you to follow rather than I try to explain.

Having completed a few batches I have found that indexing is relatively easy, my problem is deciphering some of the handwriting......I'm sure I'm get better at it. But as mentioned earlier in this thread once you have completed a batch it is sent back to the server, someone else downloads the same batch and checks for accuracy and if there is any discrepancy an arbirtrator will recheck the batch and make the final call.

The software that you download is very user friendly........give it a go :)

Regards

lil growler

Ireland, Scotland , England, America, Australia, New Zealand