Author Topic: Familysearch (LDS) Digitising Project  (Read 8376 times)

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Familysearch (LDS) Digitising Project
« Reply #27 on: Monday 07 January 08 15:45 GMT (UK) »
I've done a few myself, mainly in Minnesota (I think). Its a bit repetitive, but very rewarding when you know it's going to help people with their family history.

Stephen :)
Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 04:00 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone that is transcribing tell me what is the average rate ie pages of 50 names that is being transcribed per day ????? ;) ;) ;)
Allan
Hi Allan,
 haven't got a clue , but I can tell you how long I'm taking, I have 375 entries per page ( Irish deaths)- I'm up to 60 which has taken me about an hour to do, but that's me being slow, double checking that I've entered the correct volume and page number in etc .

You've a week to submit the form in, so you can do a little bit each day if you haven't much spare time.

Quote from your earlier post: " Does the transcribing include UK yet as names and districts would be recognisable"     Most of the  later Irish BMDs are typed very clearly so you shouldn't  have any  trouble deciphering place names that are unfamiliar to you, (unless you get one of  the earlier ones which are handwritten of course )It's pretty easy to do if you want to  give it a go

The Irish births may have been already completed (?) as there was no option to download them when I downloaded  some deaths yesterday. There were only marriages and deaths, which suits me as I  much prefer the deaths.
Kind Regards :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 16:32 GMT (UK) »
I too have given it a go and found it quite straightforward.

I was hoping to do the Irish records (selfishly hoping that some of mine may appear!) but having tried for about a week and each time seeing a message that "...there is no work available on these at present" or similar wording, I decided to have a crack at the 1850 Census of Ohio - just for the practice.

It was as I've said quite easy - the names were all British, and my batch took about an hour or so. So I'll do some more until the ones I want happen along...

Leofric

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 11 January 08 17:29 GMT (UK) »
I registered, but cant't see ANY UK projects yet
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com