Author Topic: Exciting find!  (Read 2841 times)

Offline ridban

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Exciting find!
« on: Tuesday 01 January 08 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Visiting relatives over Christmas, I was just shocked to be asked if I wanted to look at the family box.

Well, duh........is the pope catholic??

Had I, I thought, not made my interest in family history abundantly clear before???? How come you're only asking me now, all these years later??? I was so shocked that I hadn't been asked this before, considering that I thought I had been bothering them all for years to tell me anything they knew. I guess that unless you have the family history bug, it doesn't mean anything in particular to you.

It was absolutely thrilling. Apart from various  BMDcertificates, there was a potted history from the 1790s of one part of the family, who apparently hailed from Somerset, much to my surprise. There was also a bit of history of my gggrandmother who hailed from Cornwall, which really sorted a few things out, giving the name of her father and brothers and other fascinating information.

Apart from that, there was a big box of photos which had belonged to my gmother and gfather. Sadly, although they may have known the identity of the subjects, by the time my aunt had inherited them, no one knows who they are. How sad is that. I was able to identify one photo of a building, because of census info I had acquired, but most of the other stuff will remain unknown for ever. Including, probably, photos of my ggrandparents etc.

I made a resolution there and then to sit down and write in pencil on the back of every photo who/where/what they are, before it's too late. It's quite certain that if anything happens to me, my son will have no idea who most of the photos are and what they are there.

One of the most thrilling things was a folded over paper containing a very leathery looking dried leaf. The writing on this was very hard to read. As far as I can work out, it says something like:

This orange tree that the enclosed leaf comes off was presented to George the 4th by Charles the 10th of France, said to be 408 years old brought from Hampton Court on the 8th July 1841.

How exciting is that. But no clue as to who wrote it or what their connection was to it. I'd love to know more about that.

Anyway, I guess, what I'm trying to say is:

Make it clear to your family your interest in recording the families history. Don't take it for granted they've got the message.

Sit down and write on the back of every photo who it is and the reason you have it.

Sign and date and explain everything, because - hey - it aint gonna be so obvious in a few decades from now.

Happy New Year.

Linda

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting find!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 January 08 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Wow Linda!!!

What a fantastic Christmas present!!! You must have been a really good girl last year for Father Christmas to bring you all that!! ;D ;D ;D

It's the sort of thing we all dream of finding! You are very lucky  :D :D

Perhaps if you post some of the photos on here for dating, you may be able to work out who a few of them are.

Happy New Year!!!

Judy  ;)
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 January 08 18:56 GMT (UK) »
 :D What a lovely Christmas present, as Judy said it is what we all dream of finding. Thanks for sharing it with us, we can all live in hope.

Crystal  :)
Oakes and Rance - Cheshire
Wright, Teesdale, MacWhirter -Sussex
Wright, Wooldridge and Little - Surrey and London
Grimes - Middlesex and Surrey
Cardy - Surrey
Broyd, Hanch and Lazell - Essex
Bradshawe - Hampshire, London and East Indies
Hearsey - India (British Army), Cumberland and London

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Putting aside my envy......ooooooooooooohh.....
Linda, don't use a pencil! Pental has a pen for film, available at larger stationers. You don't need to press hard as you do with a pencil, nothing shows thru' to the photographic side and it will last forever.
Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 01:40 GMT (UK) »

I guess that unless you have the family history bug, it doesn't mean anything in particular to you.

Wow what a statement and how true. I'm trying to research my family roots in Ireland. Last spring I accidentally found a tree belonging to someone on Ancestry who had my uncle on it. I contacted the tree owner and it turned out to be a cousin I never knew existed. Unfortunately she was extremely  ill but did put me in touch with her sister who lives in Ireland . A very lovely lady who did give me some info about our grandparents. However, she has no interest in our family history and passed me on to her brother who did ID some family pictures. They live near the church where the family records are and where most the family are buried but have no interest in looking  :( I'm grateful for the bit of help they gave me but if your family has no interest it's like trying to move a mountain.

mab
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 04:05 GMT (UK) »
That's the sort of story that gives us all hope and determination to persevere, even when the brick walls are very high and thick.  Congratulations, Linda - enjoy!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 04:16 GMT (UK) »

Yes indeed !!!! how wonderful for you Linda !!  ;)

Have fun going over and over and over and over again - all the lovely stuff !!  :D :D :D

Annie  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 07:03 GMT (UK) »

Linda, I am absolutely totally green with envy..............you are sooooooooo lucky.

Barbara
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 09:08 GMT (UK) »
.....and I was excited when I received one old family newspaper cutting with photograph enclosed in a Christmas card this year.   :)

What an amazing surprise.......and what excitement in unpacking and looking at everything in it. I bet you still can't believe your luck!

.....dee
Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk