Author Topic: Exciting find!  (Read 2840 times)

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting find!
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Jayson
There must be some Salmon's Bayley's and Hamnetts out there (or in the future) who will be thrilled with all the research you have done.  So, write the dates on the back of your photo's chuck  :D
I aim to get round to it this year, spurred on by my friend who has started hers.
Linda, what a super story.  Sometimes family members just don't know what treasures they are sitting on do they.
My Dad's cousin who is 87 has the family photo album, a big leather one with a brass clasp, and all the pages have hand drawn and painted flowers on them, it's beautiful; and my grt grandfather's order book.  He was a wheelwright and blacksmith, and I remember reading through it once when I visited her.  It had something in the back about .. not allowing the demon drink to pass my lips again...
I've asked my sister, who is her God Daughter, to keep a close eye on them and make sure they are not thrown out after Auntie dies.  ;)

Su
Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline adee7

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful news for you, Linda.

Were you given all of the items so that you could look them over again and again.....?

Kathleen
England and Belfast - GOFF, GOUGH, MATHERS, MOXHAM/MOXAM,  OSMOND, PHILLIPS, WINDER, WYKES

Scotland - JOHNSTON, DORWARD, KIDD, KYD, RAMSAY, RAE

Canada - DeWOLFE, HALLADAY, HASKINS, HICOCK, JOHNSTON, OLD/OLDS

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 03 January 08 00:15 GMT (UK) »

On the subject of what my aunt showed me over christmas, I did wonder whether anyone else apart from me would be interested in it all. It horrifies me to think that the next generation could just decide it was nothing and junk it all. Certainly, at the moment, I don't think my son (all of 17) would be the slightest bit interested. That leaf from the orange tree presented to George 4th from 1841 could end up being thrown in the bin as being of no value.

Arrrgghhhhh.

Linda

So true Linda. I went to one of my mom's cousin's about 2 years ago and brought some research on part of our family for him to look at. His mom (an incredible human being) was the packrat of the family. Because of her, I have funeral cards back to 1875 and pictures of relatives from England in the 1870s. Some wonderful pictures of her father and aunts I would never have. And so much more. Her son now has two boxes of pictures. His wife told me they were thinking of throwing them away because they can't identify anyone. the first picture he pulled out he said to me, "See, we don't even know who this is." I said, "That's your great-grandfather, James." I begged him for the pictures. I am still begging him. I am hoping when I see him in April, I can get him to at least loan them to me. I will identify what I can and give him back the originals, so he can put them back in his attic. but throw them away... >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :-\
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 03 January 08 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Linda

what a fantastic present. Am totally green with envy but I hope you are enjoying every second of this. What a wonderful surprise! I can only dream.......

And I promise I will put notes on photos from now on!

Best wishes

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 03 January 08 07:16 GMT (UK) »
Kath

oooh nooo he can't throw them away! That would be criminal.

I hope he sees sense

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 03 January 08 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda/Su

What you have said has really motivated me into action.  I would hate to think of all my treasured personal possessions (mainly pictures) being cast adrift without a moments consideration.

Jayson
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"