Author Topic: Green family of Bedfordshire  (Read 27615 times)

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Green family of Bedfordshire
« on: Saturday 27 March 04 22:08 GMT (UK) »
I have just managed to get my first piece of evidence of my gt.gt.grandfather William Green being born in Clifton, Beds.

I located the family on the 1841 census at the FRC, Williams parents were George Green and  Ann Kitchener.

I found that she was married to a Lewington and this was her second marriage.

I am trying to track down where George was born, I have a hunch it could be Ampthill..They married 1830 Clifton. George and Ann were both down as 40 on 1841 census, although I realise this may not be their true age.

Couldn't find them all on the 1851, two of William's siblings were living with a Kitchener family as niece and nephew in receipt of poor relief.

I have just got the Clifton registers hoping they would have some information on George and Ann (as they only go up to 1812 I knew their marriage etc., wouldn't be in them)

There is no sign of them, so I need to look further afield.

I have found a George Green and a Ann Kitchener in Ampthill at the right kind of time but this is IGI.

Can anybody give me some help on this.

Please!!
Stevenson,Seabrook,Gravestock,Lee - Cambs. Geden and varients -  Warks. Oxf. Green- Beds and London. Foster, Little - Essex. Sheldrick - Surrey and London? Smith - Bucks. Coulling - Oxf.

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re:Green family of Bedfordshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 May 04 12:21 BST (UK) »
My local library has transcribed parish registers including Ampthill 1602-1812 and Ampthill registers on microfiche baptisms 1813-1921, marriages 1813- 1928, & burials 1813-1956.

If you would like me to confirm any of the IGI details I can do so for you if you give me the dates or if you have anything else in particular you would like me to check whilst I'm there. Unfortunately they don't have Clifton registers.

criggy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching London: Crisp, Leahy, Lumley. Berks: Billington, Leahy, Newbury, Yorks: Naylor, Smith, Thackwray, Wilkinson, Lancs: Smith. Leics: Everitt, Marshall, Purcell, Lincs: Bullivant, Everitt, Johnson, Sargeant, Ward. Gloucs: Chard, Coopey, Cowley, Croome, May, Millman, Organ, Savage, Shearman. Ireland: Leahy (Killarny, Kilkenny, Kerry, Cork)

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 May 04 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

thanks for your kind offer.

I have some info but what I'm really after is where George Green came from.
I've only found a couple on the IGI. Ann Kitchener is from Ampthill and I have her details as b. Ampthill 1800

She married a Lewington, who died and then remarried George in 1830 Clifton. Unfortunately entry has no details of where they were from.

The Green family have Warner among their christian names. I found a George Green b. c.1803 on the IGI. I don't know for sure if this one is mine but if you would be able to check the parents for me it might help.

Also does the library have the 1851 Beds census index.

I have asked already but had no replies. I need to see if there is a George or Ann Green on it around 50 years of age. If I can find George on there it may give his place of birth.

Apparently there are none together of the right ages. If I can confirm one or other has died it will help with finding the right death cert.

With the Warner christian name being quite prominent , Georges' son William (my gt.gt.grandfather) named one of his sons it. Also a Samuel Green had a William Warner Green.

I have found a will for a Warner Green 1770's.

I am therefore hoping that another of George's family, i.e father, brother may also have the name.

As I say I'm not at all sure George was from Ampthill but at least if I can get that checked it will be a great help.

Thanks Diane
Stevenson,Seabrook,Gravestock,Lee - Cambs. Geden and varients -  Warks. Oxf. Green- Beds and London. Foster, Little - Essex. Sheldrick - Surrey and London? Smith - Bucks. Coulling - Oxf.

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 May 04 14:12 BST (UK) »
The good news is I went to Bedford Central Library today to look up your 1851 census index. The bad news is that it was printed in about 8 books containing surname indexes for each individual parish! I did however take a look at Clifton in case you missed something. From what you told me I am inclined to think that George and Ann died prior to 1851 which is why their children were being looked after by relatives.

97 New Farm (not sure about the N)

Samuel Green   Head  M  48  Farmer of 180 acres emp 9 labourers bn Bedford Standford
Lucy Green   Wife   M  50   Farmer's wife   bn Clifton
Sophia Green   Dau   U   21   Dau   bn  Clifton
Samuel Green    Son    U  19   Son   bn  Clifton
Lucy Green   Dau    U  15   Dau     bn Clifton
William Warner Green   Son   U   Scholar   bn  Clifton
Arch Green       Son    U    10   Scholar   bn Clifton   
Jane Webb   Servant  U   20  House Servant   bn Biggleswade         
Benjamin Godfry  Servant   20  Farm servant   bn Clifton            

Interestingly the Clifton index had Samuel's birthplace as STH meaning Southill. Standford is inbetween Southill & Clifton so may not have had a church of its own, in which case the inhabitants would have used either Clifton or Southill churches.

I checked the Clifton transcribed registers to see what I could find.

No BTs 1783-95

1784 Jn 14* (*registered) Mary d William & Elizabeth Green bn 3.5.1784
1786 (blank) John s William & Elizabeth Green bn 5.8.1756
1788 (blank) Edward s William & Elizabeth Green bn 5.11.1788

1794 Oct Sophia d William & Mary Green
1798 May 30 Arch s William & Mary Green
1800 Dec 33 Lucy d William & Mary Green bn 9.12.1800
1804 Mar 8 Martha Cole d William & Mary Green

I checked Southill transcribed registers thinking that Samuel may be George's brother:-

1806 Jan 2 Samuel s Thomas & Sarah Green bn 9.9.1802
1807 Jan 10 Mary d Thomas & Sarah Green
1807 Sep 13 Sarah d Joseph & Sarah Green
1809 Nov 30 Warner s Thomas & Sarah Green
1809 Dec 24 Sarah d Joseph & Sarah Green
1811 Nov 17 Ebenezer s Joseph & Sarah Green
1812 Dec 25 Eliza s James & Mary Green

Marriages -  1802 Aug 19 Thomas Green & Sarah Porter (Shefford) (lic)  
1806 Oct 13 Joseph Green & Sarah Chamberlain.

Burials  1767-18012
1771 June 15 Ann wife John Green, tailor
1785 Oct 10 Sarah Green, shopkeeper, mortuary paid
1786 Dec 24 John Green, sen, tailor, mortuary paid
1804 Jan 9 John Green

Also on the 1851 Clifton. Census

George H Cooper Head U 60 Farmer of 183 acres emp 12 lab   bn Clifton
William Arch Visitor U 52 Gentleman   bn Clifton
Elizabeth Green Housekeeper U 61 House servant    bn Reigate
Sarah Mitchenell Servant U 21 House servant   bn Bermondsey

Sall Green head Widow 64 Annuitant   bn Clifton
Marianne Green Niece U 29 Annuitant   bn Midx Lambeth
Charles Tingey Servant 13 Servant    bn Clifton

John Arch Head U 53 Farmer of  231 acres emp 12 men 4 boys    bn Clifton
Mary Arch Sister U 58    bn Clifton
Mary Green Cousin U 54    bn Beds Old Warden
Rhoda Osbourn Servant U 16    bn Thurleigh
Amy E Smith Servant U 20    bn Dunton

Checked Old Warden PR baptism's 1739-1812 thinking Mary Green may be linked because of the Arch name connection:-

1797 Jan 15 Mary d Robert & Ann Green Farmer
1798 Apr 29 Elizabeth d Robert & Ann Green Farmer
1799 Oct 6 Lucy d Robert & Ann Green Farmer
1801 Apr 7 William d Robert & Ann Green Farmer

Confirmed George c 14.4.1805, bn 10.4.1805 s of John & Alice Green at Ampthill. Other children John c 8.3.1801, William c 25.12.1803, Ann c 21.5.1809, bn 11.2.1809 & Alice Hyde c 22.12.1811, bn 26.11.1811.

Confirmed Ann c 5.4.1801 d James & Esther Kitchener at Ampthill.

Checked for Warner Greens on the IGI when I returned & found the following, all at Meppershall (close to Clifton!).

William c 5.8.1795, George & Catherine both c 23.12.1802, Rebecca & Mary both c 15.10.1807, William c 3.8.1809 & Warner c 15.10.1807 all children of John & Sarah Green. Think this George might be worth thinking about or have you already eliminated him? The Arch link also might be worth checking out.

Can check the burials at Ampthill 1812 + in a few weeks time, in case the George there died before 1830 if you would like me to.

Keep searching

criggy

Researching London: Crisp, Leahy, Lumley. Berks: Billington, Leahy, Newbury, Yorks: Naylor, Smith, Thackwray, Wilkinson, Lancs: Smith. Leics: Everitt, Marshall, Purcell, Lincs: Bullivant, Everitt, Johnson, Sargeant, Ward. Gloucs: Chard, Coopey, Cowley, Croome, May, Millman, Organ, Savage, Shearman. Ireland: Leahy (Killarny, Kilkenny, Kerry, Cork)

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 May 04 15:06 BST (UK) »
Well, Criggy!!

What a fantastic job you've done.

I will print off and go through over the weekend. I'm sure there has to be something to tie my George up there.

I have the printed Clifton registers but only up to 1812. I wanted to get some sort of proof where George came from before I bought anymore.

Thanks ever so much for your efforts.

Will post back when I have gone through it all.

Cheers Diane :)

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 May 04 15:29 BST (UK) »
Glad to be of service. Bedford library is more inconvenient for me. I only visit (by train as I don't like driving much) when I've shopping to do so made an earlier trip than I would have done.

However Flitwick library is much handier, so before you buy any more registers check out their web site as I can check any registers they keep there, trancribed up to 1812 and 1812+ on fiche. Will probably post a lookup for the parishes they cover in a few weeks time.

Regards

criggy

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 June 04 15:08 BST (UK) »
Burials 1797-1812 Ampthill Parish Registers on microfiche

10.10.1797 William Green, infant
1.1.1799 Sarah Kitchener
21.3.1804 James Kitchener
31.8.1806 Septimus son of William & Elizabeth Greene, infant
2.2.1811 GEORGE GREEN aged 2 years
15.12.1811 Alice Green
15.5.1812 Edward son of William & Elizabeth Green aged 6 years

Checked baptisms again to make sure I'd not missed another George - not there.

Checked marriage 20.1.1800 James Kitchener & Esther Stapleton - no other info.

Baptism 5.4. 1801 Ann dau of James & Esther Kitchener.
This was the only baptism I could see for this couple. There was a James & Elizabeth Kitchener c William 24.4.1791 but I didn't go back far enough to check to see if Elizabeth died 1791 -1797!

Think the above settles the question of whether your George Green was from Ampthill!

Regards

criggy

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 June 04 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Criggy,

Once again you've come up trumps.

Thanks ever so much.

As you say that rules the Ampthill George out.  Really thinking the Meppershall one looks good. Especially as he named two of his children the same names as the parents.

Really appreciate your help, wouldn't it be nice to actually live in the same county you are researching, just for once.

Here in Essex I only have one line and that hasn't really been too bad!!

I may invest in the Meppershall pr's in a few weeks. Will try and get some more info first.

Have recently got 1861 Beds census but haven't really come across anything to help me yet. Might be too late.

Thanks once again

Cheers Diane

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 June 04 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi again

1841 Census Meppershall - no Greens that I could find.

Regards

criggy