Author Topic: A question of distance.  (Read 1151 times)

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
Re: A question of distance.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 January 08 10:21 GMT (UK) »
The date was before 1775 and he was a mariner residing in Greenwich. There are a couple of possible wives, one in Dover the other in Wrawby, Lincolnshire.
I think I'm going to opt for Wrawby at this point because later family were born there. (I know, that's even further than Dover) If I have to go back and do it all again well, what else have I got to do for the next 30 years?
Thanks for all the help, I've bookmarked those web sites for distances.
Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 January 08 11:18 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't reject Dover, as a mariner Dover would have been a very obvious port of call from Greenwich, while Wrawby is inland. In the 18th century there would have been constant shipping trade going on an the natural ports of call would have been London - Greenwich - Dover - the continent.

Can we have some names to see if we can search as well?

Carole

All places quite close to me.
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline john_w

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 January 08 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Google Maps has a distance function.
You can either enter "london to plymouth" in which case it goes directly to the route or, if you have already entered one place (which it has found) just add the "to xxx".