Author Topic: Kings in Offaly - William King  (Read 5627 times)

Offline Rosedale

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Kings in Offaly - William King
« on: Wednesday 02 January 08 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've been researching my Cheshire family history and came across a boarder in the 1901 household. I know he's of no relation to me but I would like to know his background.

I believe he was born in 1969 in King's. I think I've found his birth on lds to Edward and Mary Maher. There's other Kings born too but to Edward and Mary Meara (Same woman probably?). I've noticed theres a lot of other Kings and Maher's together.

Unfortunately it's impossible for me to get there personally. Can I find anything more out without having to, and with 'hopefully' not paying too much in the process?

Kind Regards
Lisa.
Flintshire - Hughes, Price, Simon, Messham, Griffiths, Powell, Tattum, Eaton, Roberts, Pownall, James, Enion
Denbighshire - Morris
Cheshire - Walley, Hough, Pridden, Jackson, Lawson, Rosedale, Rigby
Lancashire - Smith, Caunce, Williams, Eaton, Watkinson, As(h)croft, Wilson
Cumbria - Twentyman, Borrow, Bownas, Mitchell
London - Liddell, Wilkes, Hart
Midlands - Smith, Fox, Hopton, Timson

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kings in Offaly - William King
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Exactly what sort of information are you hoping to find?
Irish birth certificates will give names of both parents, date and exact place of birth. etc.
Bear in mind that age recorded in census could be off a year or more (assume you mean 1869) and not all Irish births for that period are actually on IGI.
1901 census shoudl give an occupation which might explain why the person moved from Ireland to England.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Rosedale

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Census says William King was born in 1869 but I've found a 1870 birth, parents were Edward King and Mary Maher. I can't be sure this is him though of course. There's also births for parents Edward King and Mary Meara. I've never heard of either surname before so wondering if this is actually two different couples or the same.

Hopefully a place of birth also as all the website says is Offaly. Unfortunately his 1901 occupation has been crossed out but there's a note with General Labourer next to it. And that was another of my questions, was there generally a lot of men heading to this part of England (Cheshire) at the time?

I know nothing of this area so... any information will help, I'm just curious.
Lisa.
Flintshire - Hughes, Price, Simon, Messham, Griffiths, Powell, Tattum, Eaton, Roberts, Pownall, James, Enion
Denbighshire - Morris
Cheshire - Walley, Hough, Pridden, Jackson, Lawson, Rosedale, Rigby
Lancashire - Smith, Caunce, Williams, Eaton, Watkinson, As(h)croft, Wilson
Cumbria - Twentyman, Borrow, Bownas, Mitchell
London - Liddell, Wilkes, Hart
Midlands - Smith, Fox, Hopton, Timson

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Tremendous number of people left Ireland for economic reasons- sometimes you will find many people from an area of Ireland living together wherever they settled.
Maher & Meara could be the same name (pronunciation isn't that much different) but probably only way to know for sure would be to check the church records in Offaly.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!