Author Topic: Charles BELIN b.1750's Guernsey Island  (Read 2963 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Charles BELIN b.1750's Guernsey Island
« on: Thursday 03 January 08 02:44 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone able to access 1750's Parish records for Guernsey?

I'm trying to find the birth of Charles Harry/Henry(either?) BELIN. His English 1789 Marriage Certificate indicates he was aged "30 years and upwards" (b.abt 1750's), while a 1836 newspaper article regarding his death indicates he was about 80 years old (b.abt 1756?), and a native of Guersney.

(I tried LDS site without success)

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Charles BELIN b.1750's Guernsey Island
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 October 08 11:30 BST (UK) »
Just thought I would rejuvenate this posting in the hope that someone might be able to help  :D

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 January 10 04:30 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if you've managed to find the answers you are looking for yet.

Belin does sound very French in name and from 'googling' there seems to be a belief that this is a Huguenot name, possibly with origins around La Rochelle France.

I did find a birth in Lancashire of a Charles Bellion born Abt 1760 Halsall Lancashire, the son of Paul Bellion.

A younger Charles Belin who taught at Elizabeth College Guernsey, who I suspect is Charles Senior's son I noticed was born in Lancashire.

Maybe this connection is a little tenuous with it's mis-spelling, but I thought I would mention it just in case.  I could just be feeling hopeful for you.

Did you check the Jersey (Channel Island) records also?  I've had a few Huguenot ancestors from France, who travelled first to Jersey before moving on to Guernsey?
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 January 10 04:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your input HistoryFan.

Unfortunately I am still at a brickwall as to the birth of my Charles Harry/Henry Belin.  You are correct, the Charles (Joseph) Belin who taught at Elizabeth College Guersney is Charles H Belin's son. Charles H Belin was married in Salisbury 1789, and was described as "the eminent drawing and French master".

I have a great deal on the son and his family, who ( very briefly) was born in Salisbury 1790, became a minister, moved to Le Havre, France , and opened a school there for 10 years, then to Elizabeth College, then as headmaster to Guildford Grammar School, and finally a vicar at Blakesly where he d.1863. Whilst at Guildford, his surname changed from Belin to de Belin, which is the current spelling of his descendants today.

The record of the son Charles Joseph Belin being born in Lancashire is incorrect, and was no doubt obtained from the LDS site. Many years ago I submitted my details of this (de) Belin family to LDS, but somehow, they changed his birthplace from Salisbury to Lancashire. This mistake was recently discussed in the following topic link

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,430002.msg2945980.html#msg2945980

Les