Author Topic: Catherine NORTON - Tip IRL to Goulburn NSW  (Read 5178 times)

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine NORTON - Tip IRL to Goulburn NSW
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 January 08 05:08 GMT (UK) »
Well I'm actually drinking a glass of wine ....but we are in a different time zones I think  :)

Seriously I'm dealing with more than one possible outcome...some strange records. One tree even seems to have some kind of code with strange code names...I kid you not but it's the same family with the same dates, members etc. Someone was really paranoid about their research but Ancestry still matched me up with their tree.... ;D Comforting I guess  :o :o :o :o :o

Can't wait to find out what response you get.

mab

Ozybob what a loverly little sweety  :D
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline nortybaby

• RootsChat Member
  • Dawn Spillane - 1927 - 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 January 08 05:20 GMT (UK) »
Well mab,

I look at it this way - the sun's over the yard arm somewhere in the world at any given time. I hope your glass is very tasty!!

Ozybob,

hello there! a seriously beautiful little one - wonderful Christmas present. I think it might be - is it from the NSW BDM???

Julie

PS: Sorry Ozybob, didn't see the death entries - thank you again, I'll check them out and let you know. A couple of those look promising.

Cheers.
NORTON/KNOCKTON/KNOCKTER - Ireland to Goulburn/Young/Cootamundra NSW Australia
KEATING - Waterford Ireland, Melbourne then Steels Creek & Yarra Glen Victoria / Sydney NSW Australia
RYAN - Silvermines, Nenagh, Co Tipp, IRL, Melbourne then Steels Creek & Yarra Glen Vic Australia
SPILLANE - Limerick, Ireland, Melbourne Australia
GAUNT - England, Melbourne Australia
EGAN - Ballingarry, IRL - Goulburn, Australia
CROKE - Ballingarry, IRL - Goulburn, Australia
PRITTIE - IRL & Canada

Offline Robert Coble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • crazy !!!! Crazy !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 January 08 05:21 GMT (UK) »
mab,

Yes of the time frame there as I have descendant there where your from name of COVELL,COVILL, COVELLIand there are other spelling to the name.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Coble or Covell, Coule Australia, Canada, USA  @ England.
Barker Australia @ England
Walker Australia, England @ South America.
Bristol Australia @ England.
Nash Australia @ England.

Offline Robert Coble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • crazy !!!! Crazy !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 January 08 05:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am in NSW there Julie not fare from Gouldurn there about 1 hours drive.

Yes my grand son there
Coble or Covell, Coule Australia, Canada, USA  @ England.
Barker Australia @ England
Walker Australia, England @ South America.
Bristol Australia @ England.
Nash Australia @ England.

Offline nortybaby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 January 08 05:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

I'm in Victoria and just got back (last night) from Wingello - about 20-30 min's the Sydney side of Goulburn. I was there for a week staying with friends and was hoping to do some on-the-spot research however car probs prevented me from doing so. Oh well, I'll be back up there soon so will try then.

Cheers.
KEATING - Waterford Ireland, Melbourne then Steels Creek & Yarra Glen Victoria / Sydney NSW Australia
RYAN - Silvermines, Nenagh, Co Tipp, IRL, Melbourne then Steels Creek & Yarra Glen Vic Australia
PRITTIE - IRL & Canada

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 January 08 05:41 GMT (UK) »
Hey Ozybob,

Have you posted on the Canadian board. There are some amazing RCers there that love to do research. If you have Canadian roots they may be able to find them. I'm a new Canadian myself. I emigrated to Canada when I was four so I don't know about research in Canada as I was one of the original settlers in my family  :D Sorry about that.... :-\

mab
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 03 January 08 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nortybaby,

I have exactly the same problem. After help from a kind person on the Genealogy site for New Zealand, I managed to track my Grandmothers siblings and from there on to Ancestry. Her brothers tree was the only one I could find.

One World has the family he married into
and all of his descendants.

James Purdy ( incorrectly spelt Purdie) married Caroline Morton MCRAE in 1902 in New Zealand.
Her parents Tree is on the site;

JOSEPH MCRAE   born Scotland 1849, died Ramarama 1938
+ her Mother Margaret BIRD

All the descendants are there including the children of  James and Caroline and coincidentally, their daughter Iris Kiro Purdy married a McRae also.

After Googling Joseph McRae I found that he was the Proprieter of the Rotomahana Hotel during the TARAWERA Eruption, and managed to survive but many others did not.

I have contacted the McRae Soc. of New Zealand and hope to hear from them soon. After reading this post will try contacting Ancestry as well.
Good luck,
Trish

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline nortybaby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 06 January 08 04:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello all!! ;D ;D ;D

A little update.

I found  (finally!!) a reference to the arrival of Catherine and her family, under the name f KNOCKTON (Norton variant) on the following site - may be useful for someome rsearching immigration to Australia:

]http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~maddenps/TIPPEM1.htm

The information I found was this:

Surname/First-----------Year---Age------Native Place-----Parents-names & location-----Relations in the Colony---- Shippping info

KNOCKTON   Mary      1840   28   (Tipp)   Edmund EGAN (fm svnt) / Mary  xx   {+husb=Pat,39 & Thos,10 ; Edmund,4; Ellen,8 ;Judy,6 + Cath,5 mths.}   Ship =   Isabella
KNOCKTON   Mary      1840   15   Ballingarry   Patrick / Mary  xx   On board this ship.   Says born 15th February.   Ship =   Isabella
KNOCKTON   Patrick      1840   39   (Tipp)   Thomas (farmer) / Mary  xx   {+wife=Mary,28 + 5 chn.}   Known-John Blackmore,Wilford,Tip.   Ship =   Isabella

I am curious as to what the name in red, John Blackmore, might mean???? Perhaps an alias?? What do you think - should I do a search for this??

Although there are a couple of anomalies, which I hope to have sorted soon, I now seem to have a reasonable picture of this part of the family but still have a fair way to go.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I might find out how they got to the Goulburn area where they ended  up settling before the next generation started moving into Sydney's eastern suburbs?

I haven't yet heard back from Anestry re the question raised in my original posting for this thread but will let you know when I do.

Hope everyone's having a nice weekend - it's about 37C here for the third day in a row - very warm!!!! I keep having to move the car to keep it in the shade.

Cheers

Julie
 :) :) :)

PS: Not too sure about the middle one - Mary Knockton (15) - the info would seem to indicate that she was Patrick & Mary's daughter but this would make Mary senior about 13 when Mary Junior was born. Possibly Patrick's from a previous ?marriage, or another relative?
PRITTIE - IRL & Canada

Offline ChristineR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 06 January 08 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Known-John Blackmore,Wilford,Tip.

as the heading says  Relations in the Colony  but this is clarified by the word 'Known' meaning they know him but he is not related (perhaps)  He also may have made arrangements to give Patrick a job on arrival.

KNOCKTON   Mary      1840   15   Ballingarry   Patrick / Mary  xx   On board this ship.   Says born 15th February.   Ship =   Isabella

Says quite clearly that her parents are on board the same ship.  If she is rounding her age up, and mum rounding hers down, then Mary could have been older when she was born.  They tended to fiddle with their ages a bit. Perhaps she would qualify for the bounty if she was 15, else she would be listed with the rest of the children.

ChristineR  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk