Author Topic: Long Shot  (Read 2881 times)

Offline mnbarrett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Long Shot
« on: Thursday 03 January 08 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I know its a long shot, but I have just managed to confirm my ggf was from Kilkenny, from the 1911 census.

My question is, I had always been told that he played hurling for Kilkenny. I have now managed to confirm he was actually from there, but how would i go about trying to see if he played hurling for their team???

he was married 17 years in 1911. And I am guessing he would have played before 1894 when he married.

Problem is surname Smith, its not exactly uncommon ;)

any pointers appreciated

M
Researching Barrett - Behan - Sinnott - Kirwan - Smith - Murphy - All So far from Dublin South City, Ireland. And recently Barrett from Kilbride Co Meath, a DMP member and his wife surname Devine

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Long Shot
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 April 08 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hello mnbarrett,

I've found the e-mail addresses of the Secretaries of the GAA Clubs in the county. www.kilkennygaa.ie The Contact Us on the left hand side of the page about Kilkenny GAA probably shows the address of the County Board. They may have records of early hurlers.

Christopher

Offline mnbarrett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 April 08 10:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Christopher

I emailed them about 2 months ago, and they said they would look in to it, but i havnt heard anything back yet.

Michelle
Researching Barrett - Behan - Sinnott - Kirwan - Smith - Murphy - All So far from Dublin South City, Ireland. And recently Barrett from Kilbride Co Meath, a DMP member and his wife surname Devine

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 April 08 13:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Christopher

I emailed them about 2 months ago, and they said they would look in to it, but i havnt heard anything back yet.

Michelle

Michelle,

Have you thought of posting a query on the Hoganstand site message board www.hoganstand.com/Forum/ForumPage.aspx or a query to the Editor of "Kilkenny People" http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/contactus.aspx ? There also a number of GAA magazines including "Hogan Stand": "Breaking Ball", "Cúl Sport", "Gaelic Sport", "Gaelic World",
"Gaelic Women", "High Ball" and "Hogan Stand"

RTÉ may know of a GAA historian http://tinyurl.com/4tp7m9  

Christopher

Offline mnbarrett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 April 08 09:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Christoper,

I will try and get a few more dates and details for him, hopefully then i can get somewhere

thanks for the links

M