Author Topic: Help and advice please  (Read 5273 times)

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help and advice please
« on: Thursday 03 January 08 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I have been asked by a chap who lives in Antigua to try and help him with his Welsh research and I am not sure where to go or start for that matter.   :-[

This is the information he has below.

My 4 times great grandfather Abbott who was supposedly from Wales came out to Montserrat I recon about 1750 . This information is mentioned in "History of Antigua" but no first name is given . H of A mentions that he married a Musgrave in Montserrat , had one son , no name mentioned but I have since found out it was William Micheal Abbott . Son William Micheal moved to St. Kitts , married a Nolan and had one son also William Micheal Jnr. . William Micheal Snr. was a Merchant in St. Kitts .  William Micheal Jnr. Abbott was an Attorney and married in St. Kitts a Margaret Stephens and had 4 children , two girls and two boys , one of whom became an Anglican Priest (Robert Ralston Abbott ) and ended up in Antigua and was my great grandfather .

Know that it will be a hard job not knowing where in Wales or even having a first name ( might have been William , Micheal or William Micheal ) but am finding out in this genealogy business that I should never give up .

Any assistance will be appreciated .

So if any one can offer some advice on the above I will be most grateful.
Thankyou in advance

Salty
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline WelshGen

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://www.spanglefish.com/welshgenealogy/
    • View Profile
Re: Help and advice please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 January 08 21:57 GMT (UK) »
He would have had to travelled out to Montserrat using a ship at this date so it may or may not be worth browsing through what is probably the best wbsite on the internet for this subject here http://www.theshipslist.com/
I haven't looked so not sure how far back their info goes. One small point to remember is that he may not have been able to travel direct and may have had to use more than one ship to get to Montserrat. Best of luck
Jones, Parry, Williams on Lleyn, Hughes, Thomas on Anglesey/Caernarvonshire, Blunt, Davies, Lee in Dudley, Staffs
Cox, Humphreys and Keech, Bedford
My website http://www.spanglefish.com/welshgenealogy/

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 January 08 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for your reply.

Sorry to take so long to answer you but for some reason  I am having a lot of trouble logging onto this site, some days I can and other days not.  >:(

I have had a look at the site you gave but it does not go back to the 1750's. I was wondering maybe if there are any Abbott's still living in Wales. Too much to ask I suppose.

Thanks again
Salty
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 January 08 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Re Abbots still in Wales, I just looked on the 1901 Census for Wales & found only 380 Abbots ~ the majority of them, though not all, in Glamorgan.

That doesn't surprise me, as Glamorgan attracted people from all over the place and Abbot doesn't sound like a Welsh name.

http://content.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=List&dbid=7815&offerid=0%3a7858%3a0&o_xid=33779&o_lid=33779&offerid=0%3a7935%3a0

I also looked at FreeBMD and found Abbots in Glamorgan, but didn't check other counties.
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 January 08 07:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tricia,

Couldn't get in yet again.

Thankyou for that information, it is somewhere to start.

Thanks again
Salty
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock

Offline Crans

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 November 12 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I know an Abbott in Antigua, who has quite an extensive knowledge of the Abbott family. I'd rather not provide his information in this forum but if you contact me I will put you in touch with him.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 November 12 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!You will have to make one more post before anyone can contact you or vice versa.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk