Author Topic: Dare I buy a new computer!!!!!  (Read 13369 times)

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
Re: Dare I buy a new computer!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: Friday 04 January 08 00:48 GMT (UK) »
When you downloaded Norton you should have printed off your registration details.  I would send an email to their support department telling that you need to transfer the program to another computer.

Outlook is being replaced with Windows Mail.  You will need to transfer your outlook express .mbx file to the new computer.  If it comes with Windows Mail pre-installed, then it will open your .mbx file and convert it to the new format.

You will need to install all your old programs on the new machine as you cannot transfer programs.

You can transfer your data to a CD or DVD or as someone has suggested an external hard disk caddy.  That will entail removing your old hard drive and putting it in the HDD caddy.  You can then re-use that hard drive to backup your new computer in future.
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 04 January 08 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Outlook is being replaced with Windows Mail.  You will need to transfer your outlook express .mbx file to the new computer.

Windows Mail comes with Vista.  Windows Outlook Express, comes with Windows Office suite, it still came with Office 2007 which is XP(sp 2) and Vista compatible)
 The files you would need to transfer from Outlook Express are the .dbx files. When transferring to Outlook Express these files need to be transferred individually but with Windows Mail, the whole Outlook Express folder needs to be transferred for the import to work.

Instruction on transferring from Outlook Express to Windows Mail
http://www.rootschat.com/links/02h4/

.mbx are internet  mail and news mail file extensions    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/176523
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 04 January 08 09:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm amazed that anyone still uses Outlook Express or any download e-mail program any more. It's much safer and more convenient to use on-line e-mail and then just download what you need to (attachments, etc).

I've not used anything but online mail for 5 or 6 years  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 04 January 08 09:18 GMT (UK) »
my ISP also allows web access to my mail account though it isn't as efficient as Express but its a case of whatever you get used to. I don't move around alot these days so roaming access isn't an issue for me.   I do use webmail occassionally to read/send new mail whille I'm on holiday or to stop infrequent spats of spam/junkmail though I don't get much  as my ISP has excellent "silent" filters  :D

but like most people I also have numerous free online accounts for safety sake.

jc
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 04 January 08 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Erin

Buy an external hardrive (bout £50) plug it into your computer and transfer all your data across

Then if your computer packs up you can just plug it into a new one and away you go

You would have to reload all your programmes on a new computer but all your data files (ie tree, letters etc) would be safe

OH brought me one for Christmas and I dumped all my stuff on it and reformatted the computer because it was getting really slow and playing up

Computer now fine and data safe

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Blondie1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 04 January 08 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Two days ago I bought a new laptop which as Vista.   I am still finding my way around it but like what I see.   I have downloaded Skype and it  already as a inbuilt camera and I have attached my headset and have no problems with it.

I don't like Norton so have not activated the Trial that comes with it.  I have downloaded AGV free from Computeractive website.  Also Spybot from the same place.  That was a bit difficult but I did it twice and it is ok and working well.

I am using this along side my PC so will not transfer everything from it I want it really for when we are travelling.  Photo's I have transfer using a Doggle and have download Picassa as I like using that to organize my photo's.

I also have been using the web for emails for a long time and find it much easier.

Don't worry about having a new computer you will soon find your way around it.   As for Vista I will soon crack that.

Val
Gibson  Rushton Woodcock Brownhill Marchant/Merchant  Watts  Coleman Hepworth Senior Robinson, Howard Woodall/Woodhall,  Dunbar, Reed/Read.  Allchurch, Rigney Shepherd

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 04 January 08 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Re - external drives and transfer:

I did that with our new computers and also with one of the old ones which had crashed and had to have a new hard drive.

I've had the externals for ages now.

I believe there is also a thread about it - very early last year. Indi and many others had done this too  :)

Here it is:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,176706.0.html

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline PaulaToo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me 'n Gerry
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 04 January 08 11:06 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid I'm one of those people whp never explores technicalities 'because they are there' I wait until I have to... then sometimes it's too late... my own fault.
The XP went, I thought it was a gonner for keeps. I had taken a load of files off onto discs, but that was as  far as I went. No Backup, which wouldn't have been any good, because the poor old thing was stuck on the black screen with the options of how to start it, and all it did was try to start and go back to the black screen. Then it went completely and I thought it was gone forever.

That was when I got the Vista. All the discs I had made worked in Vista with the exception of the Word documents... No Word program on Vista, you have to buy it, and if they think I am going to do that when there are other, free or cheaper programs....well, not unless I have to.

Luckily I have a lovely chap who came and breathed life into the XP, but he warned me it's on it's way out, back up and don't over use. This is what I have been doing.

I also have one of those desk top hard drives, (this lot talked me into it) I've never regretted it.

I'm not adventurous with my computer work, glorified typewriter that does pictures and allows me on the Internet, and that's about it, so perhaps I haven't tested Vista like others.
My only complaint, the trouble with reprogramming the printer/scanner and no Word, apart from that...and having to learn not to Save to, but Burn, and Organise to Delete...

No Problem
Bartlett/Henley on Thames
Caponhurst/Buckinghamshire and?
Denchfield/North Marston/Bucks
Webb/Winchester
Mathias/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
John/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
Smith/Portsmouth/Portsea
Purchas/Bucks and?
Olliffe/Bucks

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 04 January 08 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Erin

Buy an external hardrive (bout £50) plug it into your computer and transfer all your data across
OH brought me one for Christmas and I dumped all my stuff on it and reformatted the computer because it was getting really slow and playing up

Willow x

Willow

I am interested in this, sounds very uncomplicated and just my scene!!!! any more info on the type to buy and where to get it???
Erin :) :) :) :) :) :)
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.