Author Topic: Edward PARFREY born about 1832  (Read 5478 times)

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Edward PARFREY born about 1832
« on: Thursday 03 January 08 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering if anyone has any information or could find any information on Edward Parfrey born about 1832. My Great Great Grandfather.

Ideally I like to find a confirmed date of birth for him and his parents names.

What I do know is, he married in December quarter of 1852 to Ellen Mary Ward in the Wisbech district. I can find him on the Census from 1861 through to 1901. He died in 1902 aged 70 in the Wisbech district.

On one of the Census forms it states he was born in Livermere.

Don`t know whether its worth mentioning but on some other research I have carried out the surname spelling sometimes differs eg Parfrey/Parfery.

Many thanks in anticipation for all your help. Steve
Banbury and Hall families from Leicester 1850 to 1950.

Parfery or Parfrey family from Norfolk or Cambs 1800 to 1900.

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Parfrey born about 1832
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 January 08 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the marriage cert, if so what does the fathers name and occupation say?
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 January 08 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Sue I don`t have marriage certificate.

I`ve only recently found this information out. There is however some differing information on this subject. The IGI website lists the wedding but says Edward Parfrey birth 1831 Fakenham married Ellen Mary Ward 1862 Terrington St Clement. Norfolk.

FreeBMD lists the marriage December quarter 1852. Wisbech 3b 1375.

I`m not too concerned over the mention of Terrington St Clement, Norfolk as I did get another marriage certificate for another ancestor at a similar time that came under the Wisbech district and it turned out they married at Terrington St Clement.

Don`t know if this info helps or hinders? Appreciate your your interest and prompt response. Steve

Offline Mum44

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 January 08 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Steve -

just a word of advice:  apologies if you already know this!

there are two types of record on the IGI.  One is Extracted, the other is Submitted.  The note at the bottom states which it is.

Extracted entries are - in the main - taken from the original record and are fairly reliable (although you should always try and see the original for confirmation)

Submitted entries are (usually) from other researchers and are far, far less reliable.  They often do have correct dates for one or more of the events on the record, but  from that they go off in a spin sometimes (more often than not, I'm afraid)

A hypothetical example:

John Smith married Jane Brown 23 Sept 1790 in Portsmouth.

That bit might be quite correct.

Then, there might be the assumption that John married aged 20, so they say
John Smith born about 1770 (about is the watch-it! word) and Jane was younger so they say Jane Brown born about 1772.  Then, they assume that having married  in Portsmouth they came from there, and put "of Portsmouth" (of is the other watch-it word)

In fact, John was in the Navy and came from Okehampton in Devon and was born in 1760, and Jane was only working in Portsmouth, she was born in Winchester and was 3 years older than John.  But someone may spend years looking for John Smith born 1770 Portsmouth!

Secondly, - on a site called Genuki there is a list of the registration districts and the places each one covers, which you might find useful if you haven't already found it.
Census information is Crown Copyright from TNA.
Titchfield, Hampshire: Reed,  Fielder, Cawte, Goddard.
Kent:  Float,  Cutbush. 
Wallasey, Cheshire: Carroll, Ledsham.
Liverpool : Horsfall, Prescott

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 January 08 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for that info Mum44.

I didn`t know the information you detail about IGI although through previous research I`ve always been wary of dates.

In this particular instance the IGI information was SUBMITTED, so this would explain the differing dates between the two sites.

Yes I am aware of Genuki. I have used this site quite often for my Cambridgeshire research but not yet for Suffolk as Edward Parfrey appears to be the only ancestor to date to possibly come from Suffolk. But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Really appreciate the advice and info you supplied. Thanks very much.  Steve

Offline Mum44

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 January 08 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Steve -

I've been looking a bit for Palfrey and similar in Suffolk, or born in Suffolk, and it rather looks as if the majority of Palfreys in that area say on the censuses that they were born in Norfolk!  ???

I've got "lost" before in that part of the county which borders Suffolk.Norfolk. Cambs. and found that quite often the natives didn't seem sure of their county boundaries.   :o   He may not have been born in Suffolk after all!   ;D

I'll keep looking!

Census information is Crown Copyright from TNA.
Titchfield, Hampshire: Reed,  Fielder, Cawte, Goddard.
Kent:  Float,  Cutbush. 
Wallasey, Cheshire: Carroll, Ledsham.
Liverpool : Horsfall, Prescott

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: Edward PARFREY born about 1832
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 January 08 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve

I too am struggling to find this chap in either the 41 or 51 censuses in Suffolk or the neighbouring counties. If you are reasonably certain that the marriage that you have found on Freebmd is his, then I think that the best thing would be to order the certificate.

As Suffolk Sue has intimated, this will give you his father's name and occupation. Unless someone is going to the SRO and is happy to search Livermere Parva and Magna PRs for you for his baptism or you happen to come across someone searching the same line who has already done groundwork, I think that this will be the only way to discover this information.  In anycase, it is usually best to cross reference any information that you find post 1837 with GRO certificates.

Interestingly though, there are quite a few PALFREYS living in Livermere Parva in 41 and 51, though only one was born around 1832 - George PALFREY.

The contact details for someone researching the PALFREYS of Livermere Parva (Little Livermere) can be found at The Suffolk Surname List.  It might be well worth contacting this person to eliminate this family.  As I am sure that you know, the spelling of surnames did not really become standardized until the late 19th century so this family could be significant. PALFREY and PARFREY could well be variants of the same surname. Click on the " Go the Surnames List" link on the left hand side menu.

http://www.suffolk-surnames-list.co.uk/

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 January 08 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much Mum44 and Rick. Really good advice and a lot of points that I had never considered before. :) :)

Probably best to order a marriage certificate but I will also contact the people from the Suffolk Surname Interest website as a matter of curiosity.  :-\

Thanks again to the both of you for your continued keen interest and prompt responses, its really appreciated. :) :)

I`ll let you know as soon as I find something.

All the best Steve

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 January 08 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Have tried the two most likely candidates on Suffolk Surname List website but both e-mails I have sent have come back as un-delivered message. I assume due to invalid e-mail addresses.

Looks like a marriage certificate is the most obvious solution, unfortunately there are a couple of ancestors I require first. So this one will have to wait a while :( :(

Thanks anyway for all your help. Will keep you updated with my progress.

Steve