Author Topic: A question  (Read 1156 times)

Offline lesleyp1964

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A question
« on: Thursday 03 January 08 22:00 GMT (UK) »
If i order a death cert from g.r.o, and its the wrong 1, will i get a refund? And does the lds family history hold all up todate records, or just up to 1983 etc?....thank you....lesley
Rumsey's in woolwich and canada, markes in london/hants. Browns in west yorkshire, and london

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: A question
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 January 08 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lesley,

You might like to read through the information on the GRO site
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

If you supply them with the reference number you've found, that's the certificate you get, but you can ask for them to check other information so that you know it will be the right one, they charge for this service of course, but it could save you money in the long run.

You can also order certs direct from the local register office, and ask them to check details for you before you buy the cert, in most cases (I've found) they are happy to do this.

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 January 08 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lesley

I'm not sure what you mean with your question about the LDS.  Their library catalogue is on their website at familysearch.org, and can easily be consulted.  Also, the IGI will give you the dates of whatever is indexed there.  I don't think the LDS has very many records after the late 19th century.

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 January 08 09:28 GMT (UK) »
And does the lds family history hold all up todate records, or just up to 1983 etc?....

I think you may be getting confused with the GRO BMD Index which goes up to 1983. This index is available on Ancestry etc.,  up to 2005 but its a different database to the 1837-1983 one and the records are searchable! 
Now we are in 2008, they will probably release 2006 records shortly.

jc
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline kooky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 January 08 12:52 GMT (UK) »
I ordered a death certificate from GRO with correct references and one item to check.
The cert.arrived with the correct details in the main box, but with an incorrect Registration District, and different application no..

I telephoned. The young lady I spoke to was very concerned, efficiently found my original request, and agreed that there had been an error. She asked me to return the cert. with a covering letter, and told me that the correct cert. would be sent out.
I received an e-mail,  telling me that the cert. would be posted to me in 5 working days.
It arrived this morning. No extra charge!

Kooky
Clulo - Staffs.,Warwickshire, Lancs.1780 -1950
Fisher- Nafferton,Hull, Manchester.1770-1840-1950
Kane&McNeill,Forkhill, Armagh and Glasgow,Bray Dublin.1850s -1920
Boshell and Dowzard- Dublin, 1840s -1911
Kay/Bremner Edinburgh 1800 - 1841.Kay Staffs.& Lancs1842 -1901
Kay - Newcastle on Tyne 1780-1861
Swindell, Marple & Manchester 1900->
Makinson, M/c & Prestwich 1870 ->
Beacom/Jones - Enniskillen 1780 ->

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 January 08 13:33 GMT (UK) »
I have found the GRO very obliging if its their error but if its your error then you need to reorder...... :(

Have you double checked your references against the death registration you need? If you are searching for a name that is quite common then there is more room for error. As many of us will admit to purchasing the wrong cert on occassion

jc
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline lesleyp1964

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 January 08 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, and thank you very much for the great advice....kind regards.....lesley
Rumsey's in woolwich and canada, markes in london/hants. Browns in west yorkshire, and london