Author Topic: Ann McLachlan: Maiden Names etc. Help!!  (Read 5336 times)

Offline WoodElf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Ann McLachlan: Maiden Names etc. Help!!
« on: Friday 04 January 08 06:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

Before I start, I know Zimmerman's posted a topic about this particular person, he's a long long distant cousin of mine, still don't know how many times removed he is.. hehe.. but anyway that topic's gone a bit stale anyway. I have my own **different** questions to ask. Ann married name is McKinnon (she married Dugald McKinnon) and her maiden name is the one above, McLachlan. Her hubby came from Banavie. Anyway, I have been told that she didn't died in 10 Feb 1905 in South Australia but rather 10 Feb 1902 and she was listed as being 71 years old. This means she was born around 1830/31 (in Scotland, prob. Argyll). Now the background's done, here's my question. Two of her children have peculiar middle names, Mary Mcdougall McKinnon and my special ;D ancestor, David Thompson McKinnon. Could these middle name's have anything to do with her mother's maiden name? Thanks for reading my long-winded ;) topic!!

Elfie... 8)

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ann McLachlan: Maiden Names etc. Help!!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 January 08 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes,
It's a common practise to have a mothers middle name, or if enough children a grandmothers name.   There was also traditionally a naming pattern in Scotland which has now fallen aside of:

1st son named after fathers father
1st daughter after mothers mother
2nd son after mothers father
2nd daughter after fathers mothers.

Regards,  Steve  :O)

Offline WoodElf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 January 08 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Oh.. thank you very much. I'll check the tree out and then some resources.

I think that works out too.. Their first child was a girl: Mary (that's the father's mother's name), then John (father's father's name), then there was Alexander and Ann (Annie) so that'd probably be Ann's parents. **excellent** :D I'm soo happy! I love Rootschat!

Elfie :)

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 January 08 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elfie

Just to add to what Steve has posted. If you don't find the middle names as being the mothers' maiden names, try aunties and uncles who have married into the family - I have traced quite a few that way. Also the middle names could equally have been a family friend, employer, vicar - someone the family knew well.

My gt grandmothers middle name has had me foxed for a long time as we have no-one in our family with the same name, so where it came from ? Who knows! Her daughter who is still alive has no idea where it came from.

The naming convention is a pretty good rule of thumb but not 100% foolproof but has to be the first consideration but use with caution.

Best wishes

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline WoodElf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 January 08 02:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ann,

I'll certainly take that into consideration when I'm searching. I think that information will help me immensely if I can't find the parents by the naming pattern.

Elfie ;)