Author Topic: Rammell, Upton Upon Severn, where to look?  (Read 2341 times)

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Rammell, Upton Upon Severn, where to look?
« on: Friday 04 January 08 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I'm relatively new to all this so please bear with me.  :)

My g.g. grandfather Frederick Rammell was born abt 1804 in Bredon, Glos. He lived in Upton Upon Severn, Worcestershire and died there in 1870. I have his birth cert and he died by his own act of hanging and it states that he was of unsound mind. I'm now curous about the circumstances and why.

It was also about this time his son, also Frederick Rammell born abt 1829 left a job as a hairdresser, his wife and an apprentice to move from Worcester to sleepy SW Scotland to work at the local lunatic assylum!?! It doesnt make sense.

Anyway, is there anywhere online or other I can look up father Frederick in the local newspaper. Or has anyone any bright ideas on where I can look to find out more about the circumstances of either Frederick?

Thanks!

Tx

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rammell, Upton Upon Severn, where to look?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 January 08 11:19 GMT (UK) »
I suggest you contact the Library covering the area in which he was living at the time of his death, they usually hold copies of the local paper.

As you state the cause of death, I think you meant to say you have his death certificate. This should show that the informant was the Coroner and the date the death was registered. If the date of the Inquest is not shown, at least you know it will have been within a couple of days prior to the date the death was registered. With this date to go on,  it should be reasonably easy for the library to find the account in the paper and send you a copy for minimal cost.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 January 08 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I forgot to say I do have his death certificate with coroners name on etc. Will try the local library. Thanks!

Tx

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 January 08 13:50 GMT (UK) »
I has a similiar problem looking for a details of a crime.

The answer came from Worcester History centre who hold fiches of the local papers. Be sure to check the Berrows Journal and the Worcester Herald.

Just as a matter of interest my Grandfather mentioned knowing someone called "Totty" Ramell who lived in the Clevelode area in the early 1900's.

Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire