Author Topic: Glendening Northumberland  (Read 19316 times)

Offline David Coulthard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Glendening Northumberland
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your very prompt reply.

I can tell you that the Glendening's were definitely in the Scottish borders. They get a mention in a general way rather than specifics in a book I am reading - The Steel Bonnets by George MacDonald Fraser - (The Story of the Anglo-Scottish Border Reivers). As one who was brought up in Cumberland, as it then was, it is all fascinating to me.

I am trying to see how far back I can pursue this Glendening line. My father got our own family back to 1530 and that was before the internet came along.

If you do hear of other Glendening researchers where they are interested in the Victorian artist's family I will be pleased to hear from them.

Best wishes

David

Offline DavidM1231

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 20 December 08 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello, David.

James Glendenning, christened at Barton Saint Mary's in 1796, son of John Glendenning, later lived at Darlington in Saint Cuthbert's parish. He had a son, James, christened in Darlington in 1831. The extended family of children of John Glendenning and his wife, Jane Jackson, were in the Darlington area through much of the nineteenth century. A younger daughter, Eleanor, is my ancestor, having been christened at Saint Cuthbert's in 1803.

(another) David

Offline David Coulthard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 21 December 08 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

Thanks for responding.

We are clear that the James Glendening (one "n") whose family we a tracing (or trying to!!) came from Barton St Mary down to Middlesex about 1824 where he became a butler. He was born we believe in early 1796 and was baptised at the church in Barton St Mary on 14th February that year. He married in London 15th March 1825 to Sarah Chandler and he died in Peckham, London in 1878. 

Consequently I am fascinated by your James who went to Darlington. If his father was John and his mother was Jane Jackson they might be one and the same and it could be that he headed south from Darlington. Do you have any clues on that possibility?

It is quite feasible that Eleanor is sister to James from what you are saying. Do you have details of these siblings and any record or reason as to why they went to Barton St Mary in the first place (from Carlisle where father John came from) or why they moved on up to Darlington.

I am particularly interested to find out about father John, who as I have said came from Carlisle (where I believe they also have a St Cuthberts church. Do you have any dates for John and for Jane Jackson too and where they were born and christened?

In what trade was John working?

Finally do you have a record of any professional artists in your family right through to the present day? My interest relates to an artist and his son,  the son and grandson of this James Glendening. The grandson has a work in the Tate Gallery.

Best wishes. Have a great Christmas

Do you know what he did as a trade?

Any record of parents and where they were all living?

Offline DavidM1231

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 21 December 08 13:16 GMT (UK) »
The James I am tracking had a son, James, christened 26 July 1831 at Saint Cuthbert's, Darlington.

The siblings of James were christened at Barton, Saint Cuthbert's and Barton, Saint Mary's, with the youngest two being "done" at Saint Cuthbert's in Darlington in 1803 and 1806 respectively. Jane, their mother, dying in 1807.

David

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 21 December 08 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello!  I don't know if this may help, but the C of E marriage register for Co. Durham 1812-1837 shows a John Postle married Mariah Walton at Tanfield on 07/20 1833. There were no other John/Jonathan in that index; there were none in Northumberland index in that time frame.  Pat
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline David Coulthard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 21 December 08 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks David.

Do you have the siblings names and dates?

I may be able to get back to father John through their christening or later marriage details if he was a witness to either event.

It may simply be that we are on the wrong track altogether. (I do hope not!!)

David

Offline David Coulthard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 21 December 08 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pat,

Thanks for this. It is probably the wrong timescale for me though.

My James married in London in 1825 and his father may well have died by 1833.

If this John to which you refer is about 45 to 55 years old at taht time I would like to have a closer look at his details and would welcome receiving teh link you have.

Best wishes

David

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 21 December 08 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello David, Sadly, I merely have a C of E INDEX. No other details -- those would have to be obtained through the specific parish register...Pat
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline DavidM1231

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John, of Carlisle
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 21 December 08 19:19 GMT (UK) »
The baptismal entries at Barton St. Cuthbert and Barton Saint Mary did not indicate a former domicile.

The baptism of my Eleanor (1803) says "Carlisle" as John's place of origin, but does not mention a parish. That's at Saint Cuthbert's Darlington. His marriage was at Middleton Tyas, 23 November 1790 to Jane Jackson. She was a native of Whorlton, Durham, daughter of George Jackson and Jane Hanby.

The children of John & Jane:
George (1791) Barton St Cuthbert
Jane (1794) Barton St Mary
James (1796) Barton St Mary
John (1798) Barton St Mary
Robert (1801) Barton St Cuthbert
Eleanor (1803) Darlington St Cuthbert
Elizabeth (1806) Darlington St Cuthbert

Jane was buried in 1807, with the rites at St Cuthbert, Darlington.

I believe John was buried 8 May 1829, St Cuthbert, Darlington.

David