Author Topic: Opinions sought on baptism quandry  (Read 1701 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Opinions sought on baptism quandry
« on: Friday 04 January 08 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi

According to the family tree for the Traies family sent by a contact I have
James Trays baptised 16.3.1785 Exeter St Mary Major, Devon (Note: a similar entry to next entry - probably baptism at home soon after birth as often occurred if child was sickly, not expected to survive followed by later baptism in church)

James Traies baptised 29.5.1785 Exeter St Mary Major, Devon

Both have Samuel and Jane as parents and both are on IGI as extracted records.

My question is do I believe my contact (not that I want to discredit any of the previous research at all), is this possible or do we have two sets of Samuel and Jane who had a son and named him James in the same parish!??

Incidentally my James went on to live to the ripe old age of 94 and had 5/6 wives  :o not bad for a sickly child  ;D ;D

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions sought on baptism quandry
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 January 08 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerry

Have you seen the register? If not, it might help - if a later baptism of the same child it may include "brought to church". There only seems to be one other child about 4 years later to the same(or similar)  named couple on the IGI so 2 of them do seem unlikely. The IGI doesn't have an extracted marriage, but the submitted entries have an exact date (and the same wife) so it may be on the parish register/film as well.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 January 08 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish

No I've not seen parish records yet.  My next step is to find out (apart from a holiday to Devon ;D) how I go about that.

However I did find online the parish records for the Cathedral at Exeter which included the marriage of Samuel and Jane.  I didn't see another one there!

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 January 08 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish

No I've not seen parish records yet.  My next step is to find out (apart from a holiday to Devon ;D) how I go about that.

However I did find online the parish records for the Cathedral at Exeter which included the marriage of Samuel and Jane.  I didn't see another one there!

Kerry

The holiday sounds good & you could search for my missing John Bailey ;D - but if this is not possible are you close to an LDS centre - they would be able to get the film - as the baptisms are extracted records

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 January 08 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Good idea Trish I'll check that out, I think there is one within 15 miles of me!

Kerry

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 January 08 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerry

In my experience the staff at Exeter Record Office are very helpful - why not drop them an email?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 January 08 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Arranroots

I'll try that, I've just found their website as it happens!

Kerry

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 January 08 15:33 GMT (UK) »
You can check LDS catalogue online to see what microfilmed records are available to order.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 January 08 15:40 GMT (UK) »
You can check LDS catalogue online to see what microfilmed records are available to order.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

I use my local LDS Family History Centre a lot and find the staff to be most helpful.

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk