Author Topic: Opinions sought on baptism quandry  (Read 1699 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions sought on baptism quandry
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 January 08 17:12 GMT (UK) »
You can check LDS catalogue online to see what microfilmed records are available to order.
I'm a bit confused, does this mean that records are available either to order as microfilm or to view at an LDS centre that are not on the website??

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 January 08 17:24 GMT (UK) »
The extracted records you see on the website are transcriptions, always open to error, the microfilms you can order to view are films showing the original parish record or BT's, so you can see exactly what was written.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 January 08 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Kerry, if you are looking for records of say X church in Y parish looking at LDS catalogue under Y parish and then church records (if any are listed) will show what church records have been microfilmed, including available dates, for X church that you are looking for.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 January 08 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Much of the information on the IGI is also available on microfilm via the Family History Centres, but frequently you will find that the actual records contain more information than appears on the IGI
There is also a wealth of information available on microfilm via the Family History Centres that is not on the IGI.
Do explore the link I gave you and you will find out how much is available.
Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 January 08 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jennifer

I was a bit surprised when I went to the catalogue, there appears to be records there for one of the parishes I am interested in that I couldn't find on the website.  Records not the parish.

I shall explore  :) :)

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 January 08 01:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jennifer

I was a bit surprised when I went to the catalogue, there appears to be records there for one of the parishes I am interested in that I couldn't find on the website.  Records not the parish.

I shall explore  :) :)

Kerry

They have HUNDREDS of films that are not indexed on the IGI Kerry. If you find your local centre the staff (in my experience) are most helpful & will double check that you are ordering the right records. In UK copies of most of the films are probably in London so it shouldn't take too long. They charge a small fee for each film you order.

My only minor complaint about my local LDS centre is that there film viewers are mainly rather old & my eyes aren't as they used to be - I take a magnifying glass with me to read the screens!

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 05 January 08 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Trish

Could be an absolute goldmine then!

Kerry

Online JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 05 January 08 08:56 GMT (UK) »
My only minor complaint about my local LDS centre is that there film viewers are mainly rather old & my eyes aren't as they used to be - I take a magnifying glass with me to read the screens!

Ditto!  ;D

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 05 January 08 10:08 GMT (UK) »

Ditto!  ;D

Jennifer

And now because it has been quoted - I can't fix my spelling error  :'(  :'( -  their (not to mention the grammar, I think it should be the singular) - Why does one always see the error on a first reread  :-\

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk