Author Topic: Elusive g-g-grandfather  (Read 20589 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elusive g-g-grandfather
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 18:09 GMT (UK) »
This is very confusing!  ;D

I can't see how Annie Letitia can be a step-daughter unless at least one of her step-parents was a WALKER or was married to one at some point!

This looks like her birth:

Birth

Sep 1881

WALKER Annie Letitia

Launceston  5c 26

UGLOW seems to be a west country name (just to clarify - your earlier post on this thread suggested it came from Carmarthenshire to me)

The Elizabeths in Broadwood in the earlier censuses aren't called UGLOW though ...

All of which doesn't find your Carms village

Welcome to the joy of RootsChat!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 20:17 GMT (UK) »
There's an Elizabeth HAMBEY born Broadwoodwidger in earlier censuses, who would match the marriage that Cas found earlier.

Might be worth taking a risk on that certificate - which would give you Theo's father's details if correct.

Other than that, Annie's birth cert or that of one of the other children.

Sorry I can't think of anything more helpful than that.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 21:39 GMT (UK) »
After Arranroots post, took another look for Eliz Jane Hamly/Hamley to see if I could match her with Broadwoodwidger

whooohoo   :o it is the right marriage,  FH nose said so... was shocked with maiden name Uglow.

Take a peep at this....

1861 - RG9; Piece: 1519; Folio: 37; Page: 2
Civil Parish: Broadwood Widger 
Reg district: Launceston 

Richard Hamly 64   head, mar, farmer of 90 acres, Broadwoodwidger
Charlotte Hamly 46  wife  Devon Virginstow
Elizabeth Hamly 24  dau, Lifton
John Hamly 22  son, "
Thomas Hamly 17  son, "
Elizh Jane Uglow Hamly 2  dau, Broadwood Widger, Devon
Jabez Dingle 17, serv, carter,  Devon ?

Think it possible she is grandau to Richard & Charlotte and dau eliz. is her mother, could be illegit ?

Births Jun 1859   

HAMLEY  Elizabeth Jane Uglow    Launceston  5c 25

:) ;) :D ;D

Will leave it to you to search the rest of census,  if you need help give us a post on Rootchat   :-*

Update.... :-[ sorry could not resist 1871 - RG10; Piece: 2223; Folio: 58; Page: 3 in Cornwall down as Hambey, Niece to her uncle Thomas (head)  also likely grandparents marriage on IGI  (extracted record) in Ashwater  Devon, 1833 Charlotte Northcott - Richard Hamley (On Genuki - 1.7 miles from Charlottes' POB)

http://www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/places?DEV,SX377926,5,Virginstow

Cas

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant Cas!

:D :D

Great work.

I have been all around the houses and not looked at that record - knew that the Launceston connection looked good though.

The marriage cert is def going to be a good investment & then it will be easy to find JONES ...

::) ;D :P

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Pleased for Ayashi, awww bless she's only 19yrs old, wish my lot were interested in FH....one generation back with the Jones at least....if it was not for your post would not have looked for Eliz. Hamley sooooo team work  ;D

Cas   :)

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 January 08 14:22 GMT (UK) »
I emailed an Uglow family tree and you are right! She was Elizabeth Jane HAMLEY born 1859 to Elizabeth HAMLEY with an unknown UGLOW as the father! The man who replied also has the date of marriage for Elizabeth and Theophilus and also her mother's second marriage! That beautiful man has just made my year!! And Cas, Charlotte could well be her grandmother! Argh! I love you all!!!

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 January 08 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Very pleased for you....great when a brick wall crashes  ;D....hope you get lots and lots of lovely info from your contact...don't forget us, keep us posted ok

Best wishes

Cas  :-*

Lewis - Breckonshire

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 January 08 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Heh heh heh, spoke too soon. Charlotte may not have been the grandmother. I think she probably was, but my source named a different wife for Richard Hamley (the sister of the four he 'would put real money on' to be the father of Richard's granddaughter) I would guess it wouldn't be her, since that would be incest. So he was probably married to her before Charlotte (there is an age gap too...) Annie Lititia... He doesn't think that she is Elizabeth J's daughter since she is accounted for in 1881 (Annie's Date of Birth), but Theophilus would have been 18 when she was born. More mystery!

Edit- there are two sets- the Hamleys and the Hamlys... We've got to sort out who was who!

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 January 08 16:46 GMT (UK) »
P.S, on the other thread, someone tantilisingly informed me that Theo and Elizabeth had another daughter and a visitor on the 1901 census, but didn't tell me who they were! I only have one photocopied page of the census and I can't get access to the census... Someone take pity on me?  :-\ (Cute little sad face... heh heh heh)