Author Topic: how do I shortcut the IGI?  (Read 813 times)

Offline woozle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
how do I shortcut the IGI?
« on: Saturday 05 January 08 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
I am looking for children of a family which ranged from  Cornwall to Scotland. I know the names of the parents and have 5 children born to them but I want to see if they moved around producing childers as they went. Do any boffins out there know if it is possible to search the IGI so I can enter the parents' names without the childrens' names? I've tried doing it using batch numbers but I need to do this for the whole of the British Isles if I have any chance of finding other children.
Cheers
Woozle
"He must be somehere!!!"
Simpson/Stimpson/Wake of Berks/Oxon. Stimpson of Roxburgh, Scotland. Edwards/Hunt/Horne from all over.

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: how do I shortcut the IGI?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 January 08 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Yes you just search the IGI using parents' names (which is what you want to do I think)

Search this page http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

e.g.  searching for children of Fred and Mary MARTIN, 1830+/- 10 in British Isles finds children bap in Surrey and Yorks.
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 January 08 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Woozle

You can do this by leaving all the fields open except for the father's name and the mother's name. Don't enter anything else on to the board. This will bring up all the enries they have.

Bear in mind though that the IGI doesn't really give you enough information to differentiate between people, so if your names are quite common it will be very difficult to prove who are yours  :D

Good luck, Judy  ;)
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline woozle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 January 08 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks GeoffE and Judy.
The words thick and planks and as spring to mind. :-[ The only combination I didn't try was the pure and simple one. :-[ :-[
Thanks again.
Woozle
"He must be somehere!!!"
Simpson/Stimpson/Wake of Berks/Oxon. Stimpson of Roxburgh, Scotland. Edwards/Hunt/Horne from all over.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 January 08 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes doing a parent search with father's Christian and surname and just mother's Christian name gets better results if her surname is not spelled the same in each record.
Also, searching all records using parent search brings up records worldwide. To narrow down the details that come up- do the parent search under IGI page and select 'British Isles' for example and psooible the country, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!