Author Topic: Denny Picture (Bingo)Hall  (Read 37540 times)

Offline Wee Jock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Denny Picture (Bingo)Hall
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 05 June 10 00:04 BST (UK) »
Found this site and this topic when I googled Denny bingo hall. An update that may interest you is the sad demise of the Cinema/Bingo hall in a fire yesterday with it's demolition today. If you click on the link it should take you the regeneration of Denny site where you can see a few photographs.
Regards.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Regeneration-of-Denny-Town/250812739969

Offline Anderson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 05 June 10 07:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you Wee Jock for that information. I have joined facebook to see when the building burnt down. The building was built and owned by my great grandfather David Anderson who was a shop keeper in Denny.
Sad to see an ending as this. Wondering how I could get a small piece of brick or something as a memento. Bit hard being in Australia.
Scotland - Stirlingshire area:
Anderson - Moffat - Comrie - Rankin - Reid - Sneddon-Snaddon

Scotland - Renfrewshire - Thorn - Johnstone:
Speirs - Watson - Fillans - Logie

England - Leeds - Yorkshire:
Oddy - Littlewood

England - Sudbury - Suffolk
Hempstead - French - Newell - Healey - Cole - Andrews

England - Staplehurst - Kent
Alchin - Waters

England - Birmingham
Bayley - Baker - Barford

Offline Wee Jock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 05 June 10 10:50 BST (UK) »
My mother stays directly behind this building. I will be there today and will try and get you a brick and then we'll try and think of some way to get it to you.

Offline Anderson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 05 June 10 11:56 BST (UK) »
David Anderson built the house behind the hall and my mum, dad and myself were invited into the house by the people who owned it in 1997. Maybe it was your parents. I can't remember their names. Was the house damaged in the fire and more importantly. Is your family all OK.
Anderson

Oddy - Littlewood

Alchin - Waters

England - Birmingham
Bayley - Baker - Barford

Offline Wee Jock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 20 June 10 12:51 BST (UK) »
Sorry it's taken so long to reply but I have aquired a brick from the demolished hall for you. Let me know if you would be interested in getting it sent out to you.

My mother stays in the council housing in Glebe street that over looks the bingo hall. The family you met I am guessing would have been Jim and Liz Hendry. Jim was the commercial manager of Falkirk Football club at about that time.

Offline Anderson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 28 June 10 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Wee Jock
My apologies to you for not getting back. We have been away. Thanks very much for getting part of my family history. We haven't been back to Scotland since 1997 and are talking about going back for a visit either later on this year or more than likely into next year. So if it is possible to put the brick in an outside corner somewhere, that would be great.
I can't remember the name of the lady who lived in the house behind the hall. I know I have a photo here somewhere that I can't find of my mum & dad with the lady in front of the house.
Have they demolished the hall yet and what do you think they will do on the land now?
Thanks again for all your effort.
Regards
Anderson

Oddy - Littlewood

Alchin - Waters

England - Birmingham
Bayley - Baker - Barford

Offline Wee Jock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi. The hall is completley demolished. It is now sadly, just a pile of rubble. I believe there is to be housing built on the site. I will keep the bricks here for you if you manage over (I have three).

There are so many happy memories for a lot of Denny people in that pile of rubble myself included. I don't know if you know this but the first ever broadcast of television in Scotland actually took place inside the hall when it was still the town hall (prior to the origional fire). I think it was late 1929 or very early 30's. Perhaps this has been mentioned already...I'm off to have a look at the other threads to see if it has.
Anyway...In case you require information or need to get in contact, I can be contacted at these e-mail adresses. Will PM them to you if you like.
Regards

Offline Anderson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 00:10 BST (UK) »
That would be great, I would like to keep in touch  and hopefully get to know your proper name.
Anderson

Oddy - Littlewood

Alchin - Waters

England - Birmingham
Bayley - Baker - Barford

Offline PackerBhoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 18:54 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information on the old Denny picture (bingo)hall. Story goes it was built by my g/grandfather David Anderson of Dryman (Denny area)
Anderson

Sorry to report this news, but the bingo hall (which was in use even last year) burned down in June 2010. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10224674

Blaze destroys former Denny cinema

A fire which destroyed a derelict historic building in Denny was started deliberately, police have said.

More than 30 firefighters attended the blaze at the art deco property, which once housed a cinema and later a bingo hall, in the town's Glasgow Road.

The fire, which prompted 36 calls from members of the public, was reported shortly before 0130 BST.

Central Scotland Police said the incident was being treated as suspicious following forensic investigations.

The main road to Stirling was closed at Denny Cross as a result of the fire.
Demolition

It took more than three hours to bring it under control.

Central Scotland Fire and Rescue Service said there were no injuries, but homes in the immediate area were evacuated.

Ch Insp Bob Beaton said police were keen to speak to anyone who was in the area at the time or had seen something suspicious.

He said: "Although currently unused, we believe that youths may have gained access to the property recently.

"The fire caused extensive damage to the building which may now have to be demolished and we are anxious to hear from anyone who may have information which could assist with our enquiry."

alex in denny