Author Topic: Kew Archives Lookup Please  (Read 3401 times)

Offline DJH

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kew Archives Lookup Please
« on: Saturday 05 January 08 12:09 GMT (UK) »
In the 1901 Census, a relative of mine was a prisoner in Wormwood Scrubs. His name was Robert Graham and he was described as a Painter and decorator.
I would be most grateful if someone could go to Kew and lookup his crime, sentence and any other relevant information such as an address. The records are in the Home Office and Prison Commission - Prison Records Series 1 PCOM 2/154, 2/152, 2/158, 2/155, 2/153, 2/156 or 2/157.
Thank you,
David

Offline johnandca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Kew Archives Lookup Please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi, just wondered if you had any luck finding your relatives Prison Records at Kew.  On 1881 census my relative John Lamb was in Wormwood Scrubs and the only info I have is a confinement register PCOM 2/157 at Kew which read Register 8.11.82 J714 Lamb John.  I would love to find out why he was in prison but don't seem to be able to find any records.  Wondered if you had any ideas?  Thanks.  Carolyn Graham

Offline DJH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have had no luck in getting anyone to look up my ancestor. I am hoping, one day, to get down to Kew to do some looking up myself. Best wishes for your hunt.
David

Offline johnandca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 17:20 BST (UK) »
David, thanks for your prompt reply.  I have just been redirected from the Prison Service Museum to the Galleries of Justice Archives Dept.  Their email is info@galleries.org.uk    and/or    info@nccl.org.uk.   It's worth a try.  Carolyn