Author Topic: General Sir Alexander WALLACE and family in India pre 1903  (Read 22128 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: General Sir Alexander WALLACE and family in India pre 1903
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Welcome Otto!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Otto-JH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Annie and Shaun,

Wow, that was quick! Thank you for your kind notes. Now I realize (doh) that I didn't provide my first name. This group seems the most detailed online discussion of this particular crowd I've seen on the web.

My list of Helen's children is incomplete--those I know of were:

Christian Jeannette (Wallace) Thomas (1846-1910, my great-grandmother)
Jessie Paton (Wallace) Thomas (1848-after 1891; husbands were not related to each other)
(note gap here)
Charles William Wallace (1855-1916); and
Gen. Sir Alexander Wallace (1858-1922).

Am working on another post (to get around the 5500-character anti-blather limit) with Charles Paton's will, which I found full of surprises.

With best wishes,
Julie

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 00:56 GMT (UK) »

Hi Julie /Otto ! ( I quite like that name now !!  :) :) :) :) )

What a thrill this going to be for Keith ! and a will !  with surprises too ? :)

I hope we can all help each other and find out as much as we can about your family !!

You probably know this already ... but I found this ....

Strichen (strath-uigin - Strath of the Ugie)

Strichen has a population of around 1200 and lies some nine miles from the coast on the A981 south of Fraserburgh.

The Fraser family were the Lairds of Strichen and founded the village in 1764. Strichen (called Mormond until the 1850's) was built by the Frasers of Strichen to house estate workers and to promote "the arts and manufactures of this country, for the accommodation of tradesmen of all denominations and other industrious people to settle within the same". During the latter half of the 18th and early 19th centuries some twenty new villages were established by landowners throughout Buchan.

Lord Strichen sees the wealth of the British Empire and the profit that the world markets holds and sets in motion his plans. His vision is of recruiting the local population to his cause by inviting them to build a village which hopes will prosper. As a reward, he offers the princely sum of £100 pounds to the first man to complete his house.

For the next hundred years that little hamlet grew. In 1790 the population of the new village is given as 200. By 1840 it was 681. With the coming of the railway in 1865, en route to Fraserburgh, it seemed that the dream would at last come true. Trade increased, people in the city of Aberdeen became aware of what the Buchan countryside could offer them. The future looked bright, but this was to be Strichen’s zenith. Strichen was at one time the venue of weekly agricultural livestock markets, and hosted "feeing" markets where farm servants were engaged in May and November each year. These are now relegated to history but are recalled in a mumber of north-east Folksongs.

Today, the buildings illustrate a range of traditional styles and construction skills and most of the village has been designated an Outstanding Conservation Area since 1985.

For thousands of years there has been some form of settlement on or near what is now the village of Strichen. No doubt, long ago, our ancestors found the shelter afforded by nearby Mormond Hill of great comfort. It is evident from the number of archaeological finds that early man prospered in these parts and several sites in the area remain as a sign of his passing. Nestling under Mormond Hill by the North Ugie Water, it is a fine example of an 18th century planned village, where most of the original houses open directly on to the street with a large garden to the rear.

The lands of Strichen is one of the earliest places in Buchan for which a charter exists, having been given (with the lands of Kindrought) to Cospatrick Macmadethyn by Will, the first Comyn of Buchan in the early 1200's.

Annie  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline Otto-JH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 01:16 GMT (UK) »
Will &c of Charles Paton, Gen. Sir Alexander Wallace's gr.father:

Maj. V.C.P. Hodson, LIST OF THE OFFICERS OF THE BENGAL ARMY 1758-1834, 4 vols (1927-47), 3:472-73:

[Lieut.] CHARLES PATON (1791-1830). Lieutenant. 23rd N.I., subsequently Sup't of Province of Arrakan. Born 15 Nov. 1791. Cadet 1809. Arrived India 9 Oct. 1810. Ensign 5 April 1812. Lieut. 16 Dec. 1814. Resigned 16 June 1823. Died at sea 1830, on board PROVIDENCE, on his passage to the Cape [of Good Hope].

Bapt. Kingston-on-Hull 11 Dec. 1791. 3rd and youngest son of William Paton, dockman, and Elizabeth Wilson his wife, of Grimsby. "Cousin-german" of James George Brown Paton. Married (1) ____ ____*; (2) before 1821 his first cousin Christian Henderson [dau. of Alexander Henderson & w. Christian Paton, sister of William Paton above, both ch. of William & Christian (Scott) Paton of Rathen/Lonmay, Aberdeenshire]. His dau [Jane Ryan Paton 1809-1864] m. William Martin (1807-1886).

Services: Barasat Cadet College. Cadet doing duty 9th N.I. 1811. Posted Ensign to 23rd N.I. Adjutant 7th Grenadiers Battalion at Meerut 1815-16. Sup't construction of civil bldgs, Saharanpur 1817-18; asst. to supt. of civil and military bldgs in Lower Provinces 1810 till resignation. Jr. Commissioner, Arrakan, 1828; Supt and Commissioner of Province 1830.

Refs.: Burke's LANDED GENTRY, 8th ed (1894), p. 2255 (Wood of Woolley Moor, Yorks.). ASIATIC JOURNAL xxvi. 486, N.S. iii. 120. Will dated Calcutta 19 Apr 1830; proved 19 Oct 1830.

Will of Charles Paton (FHL #0510918): p. 117. Exhibit A. As referred to in the affidavit of Robert Cunningham Paton Sworn  [19 Oct] 1830 Before me C.E.G.

I Charles Paton Supt of the Province of Arakan being infirm in health but of a sound mind do hereby declare the following to be my last Will and Testament.

1st. I do will that after my decease all my property whatsoever be disposed of by my Executors to the best advantage and that all my just debts being defrayed from the proceeds thereof the remainder be divided equally among my four legitimate daughters viz: Mary Nicol - Christian McKenzie - Helen Davidson - and Elizabeth Jessie Paton.

2d. I request that my Daughter Jane Ryan Paton wife of Lt. Martin 52nd Regt N.I. will act as a Guardian to my Daughters aforesaid until they become of age or are Married.

3d. I request that Jos. Calder Esqr of the Firm of Messrs Mackintosh & Co and my Cousins Robt. C. Paton and William Henderson Esquires will kindly carry the purport of this my last will and testament into Execution and that they will endeavour to place my son John William Paton born of a Native Woman in such a Situation as may enable him to Obtain a decent and an honest livelihood. Witness my hand and Seal at Calcutta this [19 Apr]...1830.

Chas. Paton [seal]

Fredk. Jenkins
Capt. Asst. Secy. Mg. B. [seal]
J. C. Stewart
Merchant ... [seal]

Dau. Jane Ryan (Paton) Martin (1809-1864), w/1828 marriage in Hodson, is NOT one of "my 4 legit daus." Birth (noted under 1813 bapt.) is from Ettrick, Selkirkshire, Scotland parish register--minister was Charles Paton's (unm) uncle Rev Charles Paton (1754-1818). Jane b. Hobkirk Roxburghshire (next over), "begot in this parish" [Ettrick], mother unnamed. A "Mrs Paton" co-sponsored w/Mrs Ryan at Jane's baptism in manse (ministerial residence), not in church; think "Mrs" is Elizabeth (Wilson) Paton, young CP's wid. mother, baby's gr.mo., housekeeper for bro-in-law? Rev Charles Paton d. Ettrick Feb 1818; "Mrs Paton's" d., next entry (April). No rel to Rev ever given (only Patons there); his grave marked, hers no.

Charles Paton's executor, "cousin" Robert Cunningham Paton Esq, "of firm of Allan, Paton & Co," d. Calcutta 30 Aug 1841 ae 36 (India Office Recs, BENGAL OBITUARY [1851], p. 281; EAST INDIA REGISTER, 29 Aug). Robert's d. date on his g.s., New Bur. Ground, Circular Rd., Calcutta: 30 Aug 1841 (BENGAL OBITUARY, p. 281). Robert b. 16 Apr 1804 (India Office recs; no place/parents). William Henderson Esq was Charles Paton's bro-in-law (b. 1807).

With best wishes, Julie

Offline liverpool annie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 01:24 GMT (UK) »

This is so cool Julie !

Thank you for sharing it .... but I need to go get a cup of coffee before I start perusing it in depth !! :) :)

If you had a wish list .... what is it YOU would like to find out ??

Let us know and lets see if we can help you too !

PS I assume you have everybody named already e.g.

Name John William PATON
Event type Birth
Date 10 Feb
Year 1819
Location Calcutta
Parents Charles, Lt., 23rd N. I.

Event type Baptism
Date 07 Aug
Year 1819
Location Calcutta
Parents Charles, Lt., 23rd N. I.

http://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/FullDisplay.aspx?RecordId=014-000212154

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline Otto-JH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 02:44 GMT (UK) »
Dear Annie,

Thank you so much for your nice note! It's late here (8:30 pm, now 9:30, and will endup later) but please think of me raising a mug with you.

Now let me think some more about that wish list...

Well, among other things I suppose I'm wondering too why Fraser Wallace bore that name. Perhaps his parents were enthusiastic about the "planned village" planned by the laird, and the improvements in life it promised?? The material on Strichen you found and posted is wonderful, and makes me want someday to see that part of Aberdeenshire for myself. The laird doesn't appear to have from the register to have stepped in himself as a baptismal sponsor or witness--which might have been seen as quite the honor, calling for a special geature perhaps. Or perhaps Alexander or Margaret's family (whoever they were) had some other connection that called for commemoration? (And was Alexander Wallace grandpere himself brought by the stork?)

Another man who has kept his secrets to himself is the late Alexander Henderson, Helen Davidson Paton's maternal grandfather. His wife Christian Paton's dates are 1771-1854, so he was probably of her age or somewhat older? There is at least one Alexander Henderson of Rathen born at the right time, but no way of telling immediately whether he was the right man. Christian Paton's husband Alexander Henderson died, likely in Manchester, by I think 1840 when the Free BMD index shows a man of this name dying there; his widow is there in 1841, in her son's household (believe the son in question was Charles Paton Henderson, a prominent merchant later of London, who married his first cousin Anna Paton, daughter of his uncle Peter!). Didn't see a PCC will immediately apparent for Alexander Henderson (Christian left a nice one in Scotland.) The world is full of Alexander Hendersons, but there was only one of him! (Am sure he'd agree.)

I often am told about "naming patterns" where the first son--which Fraser would have been, as his parents were married only the previous year--is named for the father's father, &c; on the other hand, this Fraser Wallace appears only in 1785 being born, and in 1808 marrying. Apparently he has never died (no death date or probate for him in the wonderful ScotlandsPeople, although this is not insurmountable--just means he may have expired pre-1855 or didn't leave probate). I didn't see him in FIBIS, and not in OPRs which I know aren't complete, but am wondering about a possible Scottish Episcopalian angle, much of which I believe is not online/filmed.

The "naming pattern" I've seen most often with these people is with the girls--my late aunt (1896-1990) was named for both her grandmothers; Mrs. Thomas on her part, I realized, was named Christian Jeannette for her grandmothers Christian (Henderson) Paton (1802-1827, named for strings of Christians) and Janet Walker (only know her marriage date, 1808 at Strichen). Poor Janet, who likely found her life of keen interest and knew all manner of things about herself! She might well be disappointed to learn how nothing much was remembered about her. And her mother-in-law Margaret Gray might feel much the same, who knows?

The more of these folk I see, the more complex and elegant their interconnections. And thank you again for the coffee and good company!

Julie

Offline liverpool annie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 02:56 GMT (UK) »

Just so you know .... I've resorted to chocolate covered expresso beans .... don't have time to sip !!  :) ::) ::) ::)

This is all so fascinating .... I'm sure others are going to jump in ..... and I hope we come up with some good answers !!

Thanks again for joining us Julie and all the wonderful information !

Offline Otto-JH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 03:47 GMT (UK) »
Yet more on Helen Davidson (Paton) Wallace, Charles Paton and family!

Charles Paton's wife was his first cousin Christian Henderson, christened at Rathen, Aberdeenshire 29 July 1802, eldest child of Alexander and Christian (Paton) Henderson. Somewhere on FIBIS is a record of Christian's voyage to India in 1819 with her just-younger sister Mary Forbes Mackenzie (who married John Mackenzie, Esq., of Calcutta in 1822; a younger sister, Helen Henderson, is likely to have been the person who came out to India but died there unmarried). Christian was married at Calcutta to her cousin Charles Paton on 15 April 1820, and bore four daughters in quick succession. At least one of her daughters (Helen Davidson Paton) was born at Ballygunge, then and now (I'm told) an upscale area of Calcutta. Childbearing and tropical diseases soon did for Christian, who died at Akyab, Arrakan (on the west coast of Burma) 21 Aug. 1827, of a fever.

When I first saw Charles Paton's will I saw the legacy to his one son and thought "Hmmm, losing no time in the short time he had left," but it's clear from the India Office records Annie has also found that John William Paton was born before his father's marriage in 1820. While Charles did have something of an extracurricular life, he seems to have provided for the resulting children--he would hardly have left the care of his four legitimate little daughters to their older half-sister Jane Ryan (Paton) Martin (1809-1864), had he not already made arrangements for her! He had two known illegitimate children in India--Elizabeth Young Paton at Meerut in 1816, and John William Paton in Calcutta in 1819 (as Annie found). Elizabeth Young Paton was too young to marry in 1830, so likely had died; Charles asked his male executors Joseph Calder, Robert Cunningham Paton, and William Henderson to provide for John William; whatever became of him, I wonder? After Charles Paton's death, the Martins--who were to have plenty of children of their own--seem to have sent some or all of the four little girls to Scotland for schooling. I may have seen Helen and Jessie at a school in Old Machar, Aberdeenshire (although birthplace was given as Scotland, everybody's on the page was). Of course Helen had returned to India by 1845. She was "of Park Street" in her marriage record at St. Andrew's Kirk, Calcutta; wonder whose house she was married from? That too would be of interest.

Daughters of Charles and Christian (Henderson) Paton were:

1. Mary Nicol Paton (1821-1834), bur in Lonmay kirkyard--far from her native tropics--with her double great-grandparents William and Christian (Scott) Paton.

2. Christian Mackenzie Paton (1823-1857), later of Cawnpore; she, her husband Col. Edwin Montagu Rees Wiggens (1819-1857; m. 1841) and their two youngest children were all killed in the Indian Mutiny.

3. Helen Davidson Paton (1825-1913), d. Chatham Kent 5 Feb 1913. Very short death notice, THE TIMES, 7-8 Feb 1913, p. 1 ("WALLACE.--On the 5th inst., at Chatham, HELEN DAVIDSON WALLACE, widow of the late Alexander Wallace, Esq., of Peterhead, afterwards of Calcutta, and daughter of the late Capt. Charles Paton, East India Company's service, in her 88th year"). She is seen in 1881 (already a widow), a visitor in the  Fraserburgh household of her Paton cousin Mary Forbes Wemyss (c1810-1882); in 1891 and 1901, boarding in Paddington, London. My paternal grandmother Hilda Margaret Rose (Thomas) Otto (1869-1952) last saw her Aug 1910 Rochester, Kent after the funeral of Hilda's mother, Mrs Wallace's eldest daughter Christian Jeannette (Wallace) Thomas (1846-1910). Helen was seated in the Thomas parlor, eating little cucumber sandwiches from a glass plate someone had made up and brought over to her. Her estate, settled in June 1913 by her son Charles William Wallace Esq, came to £4007, 11s. 4d.

4. Elizabeth Jessie Paton (1827-1880) d. Kensington, unm; left most of her property to niece Louisa Julia Wiggens (1851-1904 unm). One of her two executors was the Fraserburgh solicitor George Wallace, parents known but relation (if any?) to Alexander Wallace is unknown.

Extracts from Charles Paton's journal of an 1827 trip from Akyab to Dalet [sic] published as "Journey to Datel [sic] in 1827" in JOURNAL OF THE BURMESE RESEARCH SOCIETY 28:228-31 (not seen), cited in Dr Jacques P. Leider, "Arakan around 1830--Social Distress and Political Instability in the Early British Period," ARAKAN RESEARCH JOURNAL vol 2, online at www.narinjara.com. Charles Paton and his early fellow Sub-Commissioners in Arakan tried to introduce the Bengali "zamindar" taxation system, a dismal failure in Arakan (which has now renamed Rakhine state by the current government which changed Burma to Myanmar, Rangoon to Yangon).

With best wishes,
Julie

Offline liverpool annie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 04:01 GMT (UK) »

Hi Julie !

All of this is amazing and as I said before .... fascinating !!  :)

I've come to the conclusion ... I like your Charles ! ..... isn't it funny how you can be drawn to people who died so long ago ??

I'm excited .... this is just as good as finding my own family !!  :) :) :)