Author Topic: Help to read another certificate Please  (Read 3037 times)

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help to read another certificate Please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 January 08 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Crystal

Sounds exciting!

Meanwhile, Thomas Christie alias Thomas Christie Bradshaw was born 11 Sep 1838 in London, service number 78366, according to Documents Online. When I get a look at the full record tomorrow I can give you the rest. I can have a look at Paris Bradshawe's will, too, if you like.

Mean_genie

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 January 08 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Mean_Genie

What can I say But  WOW  thanks yes please  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Thomas Christie Bradshawe's birthdate was the one date I did not have. I may now be able to get a birth certificate to check his mother, I believe she was Irish, 1838 just may be possible.  :-\ :-\ :-\

I have certainly had some brick walls smashed down this weekend.  :D :D :D

I can't believe it,
I have JUST tracked down Paris Bradshawe's wife Charlotte Hearsey and her Mother Charlotte Crane and father Lieutenant-Colonel Andrew Wilson Hearsey born 1752 who I have found listed in a book called "The Social Condition of the British Community in Bengal 1757-1800" it lists him as being in active military service at Allahabad- His father was the Captain of an East Indiaman.

The rest of my family has been a really slow process of research, so I can't believe how quickly this has come together with the help of some lovely people on Rootschat.

Crystal  :)
Oakes and Rance - Cheshire
Wright, Teesdale, MacWhirter -Sussex
Wright, Wooldridge and Little - Surrey and London
Grimes - Middlesex and Surrey
Cardy - Surrey
Broyd, Hanch and Lazell - Essex
Bradshawe - Hampshire, London and East Indies
Hearsey - India (British Army), Cumberland and London

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 January 08 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Crystal

Service Record of Thomas Christie alias Thomas Christie Bradshaw:

Date of birth: 11 Sep 1838 London, Middx

Height: 5ft 2 1/2in

Hair: Auburn

Eyes: Hazel

Complexion: Fair

Wounds, Scars or Marks [ie tattoos]: Tomb, Britannia, man & bracelet on right arm. Man & woman, Anchor & Hope, Sailor on a barrel & bracelet on left arm. Full rigged ship on breast.

Trade: Sea

Ships served in: Hector CG [ie coastguard]

Ships Books: List 63 No 41

Character: Exy [exemplary?]

Pensioned 13 Apr 78, Hector List 91 No 48

FE [first entry?] 1853

There is some helpful background info on these records on the DocumentsOnline site at www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/royal-navy-service.asp and you might be able to search for his earlier records. This will mean avisit to Kew, though, if you can get there - word of advice, leave it until at least the end of March if you can, it's a bit grim there at the moment with the alterations.

Will of Paris Bradshaw, Lt Col in the Service of the East India Company (PROB 11/2086 f47) will dated 5 Jun 1820, Admon with will granted 16 Jan 1849 to Paris William Augustus Bradshawe, Charlotte Bradshawe spinster, Mary Ann Carr widow - admon of goods of Charlotte Maria Bradshawe widow deceased, while living the relict and residuary legatee named in the said will. The said Charlotte Maria Bradshawe, George Bradshawe Esq the brother, Charles Stuart and George Dick? survived the said deceased but died without having taken upon them the probate and execution thereof.

The will itself allows for the support and maintenance of 'my beloved wife Charlotte Maria Bradshawe' maintenance support and education  of my surviving children. His son George Paris Bradshawe, Capt in 77th Regt of Foot had already received his portion. Executors named were Charlotte Maria (residuary legatee) 'beloved brother' George Bradshawe, 'valued friends' Maj Gen Charles Stuart and Col George Dick(?)

any use?

Mean_genie

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 January 08 18:03 GMT (UK) »
 8) 8) 8) Any use  ??? ???  :o :o

Most definitely, Thank You,
What a lot of details about them both. I feel a trip to Kew coming on  ::) I have not done that yet and will take your advice about the present alterations.

I find the DocumentsOnline site really hard to extract information from, I will have a look though. Can you actually view information on there or is it purely a guide for research  ???

I cannot begin to say how grateful I am for your help and wish you the best of luck in your research.

all the best Crystal  :D

forgot to ask in the excitement, did you go to Kew today?
Cardy - Surrey

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 January 08 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Crystal

Glad it was useful. Don't you just love the tattoos!

Documents Online is TNA's own site for putting digitized images of documents online, hence the name. Only a tiny proportion of TNA's document collection is included, unfortunately, because it's time-consuming and expensive to do, but some of them are some really good family history sources, like these two. The indexes are free, but it costs £3.50 to download each document unless you are on site at Kew (or at the FRC until it closes in March), in which case it is free.

I was actually at the FRC today, not Kew, but there is a limit to the research I can do on my own family here because they are all Scots or Irish, but I have my annual research trip to Edinburgh in exactly 4 weeks time.

Best wishes

Mean_genie

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 January 08 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Mean_genie

The Tatoos were the best surprise !!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  I would have loved to see them. I wonder if the full rigged ship was right across the chest  ;D probably not!!!
I found it really funny because my mother always hated tatoo's and she was his Great Grand daughter, although she obviously never met him, I would have liked to be able to tell her about them.  :o :o

Yes I have downloaded a couple of medal cards from Documents Online but they did not really have a lot of information on.
This Service record and his fathers will have loads of information on them and I presume there are probably earlier records.  :D

I hope you unravel as much of your family history in a few weeks time, when you go to Scotland as I have in the last couple of weeks.

It looks like I have my first Irish connection now because Paris W.A. Bradshawe (Thomas's father and son of Paris Bradshawe - the will) married his first wife Isabella Kernahan in 1830, Munster Province Ireland, I think this would be Thomas's mother.

Good Luck Crystal  :D
Cardy - Surrey