Author Topic: CORNWELL from Bottisham  (Read 62468 times)

Offline KarenRuth2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CORNWELL from Bottisham
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 18:27 BST (UK) »
Dear Paul,

I am excited to be in contact with someone from Lode.  In 1971, I spent time in Bottisham and Lode.  The Vicar David D. Billings allowed me to examine the church records of Bottisham and Lode.  I was 19 years old at the time.  I knocked on doors of "Cornwell's" in Bottisham and Lode to try to trace my Cornwell family.  One family was particularly gracious and helped me locate various relatives--they had a little girl named Sarah.  That Cornwell family, however, I could not link to my family. 

My great great grandfather, Walter Cornwell, was the sister to Priscilla, also known as Zillah, who married William Mossup Rayment on Jan. 6, 1870.  Their children were William, Ruth who married Robert John Hiner, Jack, and Walter.

I have not been able to link Holmes Cornwell that married Elizabeth Day with your William Cornwell that married Alice Hunt. However, I have in the past been in contact with other Cornwell relatives that are related to you.  In 1987, someone  of Cambridge wrote me.  I do not know if he is still living or interested in family history.  However, he wrote the following information.  William Cornwell married Nov. 3, 1789 to Ann Arber who was baptized May 21, 1769 in Bottisham.  Ann Arber was the daughter of William Arber and Ann Arber.  William Arber was baptized 1731 and was the son of John Arbor (not Arber) and Mabel Richmond.  John Arbor was baptized 1714.  One of the children of William Cornwell and Ann Arber was William Cornwell, baptized June 1, 1801 in Bottisham.  This William Cornwell married Alice Hunt.  Other children of William Cornwell and Ann Arber were John, baptized June 1, 180l also and married Elizabeth Harrison; Mary Ann baptized June 1, 1801 also; Philip, baptized June 1, 180l married Ann Ayres; and Sarah. baptized Nov. 7, 1802.  The Cambridge correspondent has traced his wife's  side downwards through Philip Cornwell and Ann Ayres, who were married June 16, 1822.  Philip Cornwell died Nov. 25, 1888.  I have additional information on the descendants of Philip and Ann (Ayres) Cornwell. 

I have from the church records that William Cornwell married Alice Hunt on Mar. 3, 1816 in Bottisham.  Their children were John, born July 30, 1820; Eliza, baptized Dec. 29, 1822; Josiah, baptized Jan. 16, 1825; David born Mar. 12, 1829; Sarah, born Oct. 21, 1830; Elishaba, born Feb. 16, 1834.  These children were all in Lode records.  The above correspondent also stated that William Cornwell and Alice Hunt had children Ann, born 1824; and Israel born 1840.  The married of their daughter, Elisheba Cornwell, 24, and William Webb, 25, was Jan. 21, 1858 in Bottisham.  William Webb was stated to be a carpenter and his father, William Webb, was a wheelwright.

It seems to me that we should be able to sort out the various Cornwell lines and perhaps find a common ancestor.  I do not know what information you have and what you are interested in.  Please let me know.

I am interested in proving that my Holmes Cornwell that married Elizabeth Day was the Holmes Cornwell that was baptized Jan. 29, 1764 in Cambridge St. Andrew the Less.  Since I know there was a Holmes Cornwell that died June , 1840, Newmarket, Cambrige,  in addition to the Holmes Cornwell (died by Sept. 23, 1837) that married Elizabeth Day, I can't be sure which Holmes is mine.  Is there a way to find out the age of the Holmes Cornwell that died June, 1840?

Looking forward to your comments.  Karen

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 03 May 12 14:58 BST (UK) »
Interesting post Karen, I need a little time to digest it, but will be back. My suggestion about getting together for research on the extended Bottisham/Lode seems to have not to have generated interest thus far. What do others think please?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 03 May 12 15:59 BST (UK) »
Regarding post 9 from 2008 Is James Cornwell bapt 1801, son of Holmes Cornwell and Elizabeth Day a possible father?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline KarenRuth2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 06 May 12 22:07 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have the reference for James Cornwell bp. 1801, son of Holmes and Elizabeth Cornwell?  I know that Holmes and Elizabeth (Day) Cornwell had a son, James, due to the fact that he is named in the will of Holmes in 1837.  Is James Cornwell, bp. 1801 recorded in the Bottiham Lode, Camb. church records or the bishop transcripts?  I also know that James Cornwell married Hannah Greygoose and had a son named Holmes born Jan. 26, 1841 in Bottisham Fen, Camb. from the birth certificate of Holmes Cornwell. 

Karen

Offline arthur1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 07 May 12 07:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen

Children of Holmes and Elizabeth

1787  John Day Cornwell
1789  William Cornwell
1791  Elizabeth Cornwell
1794  Holmes Cornwell
1796  George Cornwell
1799 Susanna Cornwell

no sign of James

Paul
Bottisham/Lode, Australia Webbs

Offline KarenRuth2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 18 June 12 00:06 BST (UK) »
This is a query regarding George Cornwell, born in Bottisham Lode, Camb, in 1819 or 1820.  This George Cornwell was the son of John Day Cornwell and Sarah West.  I know that this George Cornwell was married to Harriet Beard in 1842.  Harriet Cornwell died in 1862.  In my quest to locate the death date of this George Cornwell, I have located a George Cornwell that was stated to be born in Bottisham, Camb. in the 1891 British Census.  In that census, he was 70 years old.  This George was married to Eliza and this George Cornwell died Nov. 9, 1893 in Little Eversden, Caxton, Camb.  I am most interested in locating the marriage of this George Cornwell to Eliza.

I have obtained a marriage certificate for a George Cornwell, 21 y. o., son of Philip Cornwell, married Apr. 1, 1862 at St. Andrews St. Register office to a Harriet Anne Hoye, 21 y. o., daughter of Edward Hoye.    Both fathers were named as Labourers.  Hopefully this informaton will be of interest to someone.

Karen

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 18 June 12 08:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Karen, I am working through the book, and eventually when I have put it into order I will send a detailed list for your observations. I know this does not directly relate to George, but I was very intrigued to find I had close relatives in South Yorkshire near where I lived for 45 years and never knew it!

Offline Mr.Blueyezz

• RootsChat Extra
  • John Travers Cornwell VC (My 1st Cousin 2xremoved)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 25 June 12 14:41 BST (UK) »
I'm learning even more about my Grandparents Family....thanks for the info!
Carter,Cornwell,Smith,Palmer,Phibben,Bottisham Lode,Baldock,Cambridgeshire,Fulbourn,Merthyr Tydfil,Abercwmboi,Aberdare,Soham,Suffolk,Steeple Morden,Guilden Morden,Cambridge,South Cadbury,Castle Camps,The Fens,Plantagent Royal Family

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 25 June 12 21:20 BST (UK) »

I have obtained a marriage certificate for a George Cornwell, 21 y. o., son of Philip Cornwell, married Apr. 1, 1862 at St. Andrews St. Register office to a Harriet Anne Hoye, 21 y. o., daughter of Edward Hoye.    Both fathers were named as Labourers.  Hopefully this informaton will be of interest to someone.

Karen

It is to me Karen, and another twist to the family spiral. Harriet was the sister of my 2XGGmother Melinda Hoye, married name Willis. However, another mystery.I have her father as John Hoye, b1801 Bradley Suffolk, and her mother Jemima Taylor b1808 Stechworth Cambs.