Author Topic: Old-ish books as source of FH  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Old-ish books as source of FH
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 January 08 21:42 GMT (UK) »
... and another one ...

Look at the price !   We bought a modern Rayburn/Aga for £6000  !!   Insanity !
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 January 08 23:17 GMT (UK) »
The only thing that I can find at the moment is that Young & Marten Ltd was started by William Young in 1872. At a later date he was joined by H.H.Marten. The last reference that I can find about the company is that they were trading from Caledonian Works Romford Road Stratford E.15 in 1936. There is a court case dated for 1968/9 which refers to a company by the same name but I am unsure if it is the same one.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 January 08 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Lydart,

Years ago, my family and I spent a summer in Ottawa (Canada). 

The Museum of Science and Technology had a huge display called, "Love, Leisure and Laundry".  I don't know if the collection is still on display but check out this section of their website:

Washing Machines

http://www.sciencetech.technomuses.ca/english/collection/washing_machines.cfm

(I still have my "Love, Leisure and Laundry" T-shirt; I loved the exhibit!)

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 January 08 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Josephine ... great site for anyone researching washing machines !   Some of them made me feel tired just to read about them !   Almost less work to hand wash clothes in a bowl or the sink ...
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 January 08 16:07 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome, Lydart!

I still remember my mother showing me an old wringer washer in the barn when I was about four or five years old. 

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 January 08 11:15 GMT (UK) »
morning Lydart,

In relation to your Mrs Beeton's book, I have found a copy that I have that has the same b/w picture of the washing items. In the preface of my copy it talks of  ...."the world, especially since the war...." which place's it in the 1920's (and, as there is no mention of how long "since the war" I would say that it was printed in the very early 20's). Going by the font type used and the layout I would date my copy to having been printed between 1920 and 1930. the one thing to remember though is that Ward, Lock & Co. did not change much in the book when reprints were produced and that can be said for the images that they contain. The only difference being in so much that as photography changed so did the technique of reproducing them in books and journals.
I would therefore think that your copy is from the same period.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 January 08 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that OR.  I never thought of actually READING it for clues like you found !  An object lesson ... read rather than just speculate !

Offline Brambletye

• Restricted User
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 January 08 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Any old book which has an advert with a price attached to the item should help considerably in dating it; the other dead giveaway, apart from mention of "the War" or His or Her Majesty, is possibly the company name and address in any ad...if you can get reference to any old directories e.g. Kelly's, look them up under the business section of the town or city to see when the advertisers first appear, that at least gives you a clue. Many municipal boroughs and councils also produced their own town guides, so if the local library has any in the reference section, that might help too.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 10 January 08 23:00 GMT (UK) »
My 1915 Mrs Beeton has illustrations of mangles but no washing machines. The hand-operated machine, no.6 in your illustration, is similar to the one my grandmother used right up to the 1950s. On wash day the kitchen mats were rolled up, and the machine was hauled into the middle of the room and filled up with pails of hot water. Using it was a very energetic and splashy business! Everything had to be rinsed in the sink and put through the mangle, and then the machine had to be emptied (I can't remember if it was baled out or if there was a drainhole) and the floor mopped dry. It was eventually replaced with a single tub Hoover machine on which the mangle rollers could be released if you got your fingers trapped - a huge improvement.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland