Author Topic: Articlave  (Read 12510 times)

Offline sailorman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Articlave
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 27 September 08 03:53 BST (UK) »
Have been following your thread re information about Articlave.  I can trace my  ancestry to my ggg grandfather, b 1759, in Articlave, and there it ends. Ancestors were members of 1st Dunboe Presbyt, Ch. Most born in Ballywildrick Lower.
Questions: What would be the logical next step to trace ancestors further Back?
                   How would one try to locate descendants of my ancestors still residing
                   in Articlave?
I'm located in the U.S. so, I'd like to do preliminary work on-line

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 27 September 08 15:42 BST (UK) »
You may have gone back as far as possible in your research. Pre 1750s records are fairly scarce in this area. If there are any records (and you need to know the townland where your family lived) you might have a problem proving that the persons you've found in the record are either your ancestor (if the same Christian name) or related to your ancestor.
From the start of civil registration onwards you can check birth, death and marriage certificates to establish links. The first complete census is 1901 so census records will probably not help you much until you can trace the family well into the 1800s. Church records, if they exist, will be one of the things you need to check but are not available online. 
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sailorman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 27 September 08 17:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you. That information is very helpful.

My grandfather emigrated to the U.S. in 1881. He brought several siblings, one of whom returned to Ireland, and several siblings remained to work the farm. I was hoping if I could make contact with one of those who remained that they may have some additional records.

We have a land indenture issued to an ancestor by a Lord Kirkudbright in 1655. Is there a location where these documents are recorded ?

Best regards,
Paul C.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 27 September 08 17:57 BST (UK) »
We have a land indenture issued to an ancestor by a Lord Kirkudbright in 1655. Is there a location where these documents are recorded ?
Do you mean Kirkcudbright? Where is the land located? Ireland? Scotland?

Maybe a few clues here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Maclellan,_3rd_Lord_Kirkcudbright
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Maclellan,_2nd_Lord_Kirkcudbright

My grandfather emigrated to the U.S. in 1881. He brought several siblings, one of whom returned to Ireland, and several siblings remained to work the farm. I was hoping if I could make contact with one of those who remained that they may have some additional records.
Check PRONI Will Extracts (www.proni.gov.uk) to see if any of the family are mentioned (extracts give date of death and townland as well as other details.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 27 September 08 20:53 BST (UK) »
Lord John Kirkcudbright was a McClelland, a nephew of Sir Robert McClelland who became the 'first farmer' of the Clothworkers' Portion around 1617-18. The estate was re-released in 1655 in the aftermath of the Irish rebellion and most of the new tenants were Scots from the Lowlands.

PRONI has copies of these leases, the original material are amongst the McClelland/Maxwell estate papers in the National Archives of Scotland RH/15/91
in their catalogue: there are other documents in this archive that might prove fruitful in your research.

What is the name of your ancestor in the 1655 lease?

Offline sailorman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 28 September 08 04:49 BST (UK) »
Lord John Kirkcudbright was a McClelland, a nephew of Sir Robert McClelland who became the 'first farmer' of the Clothworkers' Portion around 1617-18. The estate was re-released in 1655 in the aftermath of the Irish rebellion and most of the new tenants were Scots from the Lowlands.

PRONI has copies of these leases, the original material are amongst the McClelland/Maxwell estate papers in the National Archives of Scotland RH/15/91
in their catalogue: there are other documents in this archive that might prove fruitful in your research.

What is the name of your ancestor in the 1655 lease?

Thank you for joining the chat. did you see my reply to Aghadowey ? Exploring the McClelland line may bear fruit. I hope so.

The land indenture was issued to Peter Cunningham, David Morray and Robert Blair.
The latter may have been a cousin as the name Blair is handed on down thru direct decendents. Grantor of the indenture was "John, Lord Kirkudbright".
I'm pleased  to hear you say that PRONI has copies of these documents.

Paul c.

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 28 September 08 09:33 BST (UK) »
Paul wrote
I can trace my  ancestry to my ggg grandfather, b 1759, in Articlave, and there it ends. Ancestors were members of 1st Dunboe Presbyt, Ch. Most born in Ballywildrick Lower.

There are a few options still open to trace your ancestors in the mid-18th century. As you know the townland you could make a search of the Registry of Deeds, which has a surname and place-name index; you could undertake a search for the period 1730-1780 for example to see if any deed was registered.  Also the McClelland estate was taken over by the Jackson family and a search for rentals/estate papers should be carried out. There may have been a family will so you could search PRONI will abstracts, as a 'long shot' (they have 13,000 will abstracts).

Gortinanima