Author Topic: Genealogy Software Recommendations  (Read 2447 times)

Offline AndyD_OHD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Genealogy Software Recommendations
« on: Monday 07 January 08 00:30 GMT (UK) »
HI All,
I just joined this site tonight. I have looked at GenesReunited and Ancestry.co.uk, and to be honest they look as though their use could get pretty pricey, so I wondered whether anyone could recommend any genealogy software, and if possible if they could be open source/Free versions?

Many thanks

Andy
Downie - Lanarkshire/Fife
Wright - Lanarkshire
Forsyth - Lanarkshire
Connor - Lanarkshire

Offline Springbok

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Genealogy Software Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 January 08 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RC  Andy,

I think your best bet is to trawl through the Tech site here, as there are (and have been many of us) who have this query.And go to the Moderator's boards which give links to pages on here and on the Web.

Are you looking for a Free Family History programme to download? Yes there a number of them which have been reccomended by members.

Free search sites to find information ,then there are many also.

I have subscribed to Ancestry. co uk for a couple of years and though it took ages to take the plunge, i have found dozens of Census returns for my family.

Genes I have been on for years and just about all of my (now 4,000+ ) relations have come from contacts on that site. There again you have to be very careful about the intial contact(lots of comments on here in the Common Room)

have a look at some of the links here and you will find some help. Don't forget that you can also send a message to even some of the oldest queries! And also ask someone to do a "look up" for you.

Regards Spring

Dorset: Ackerman,Bungey,Bunter Chant,Hyle
Islington:Bedford, Eaton,Wilkins
Beds,Fulham: Brazier
Shoreditch: Burton,Coverdale
Essex ,Clerkenwell:Craswell,Cresswell
St.Lukes Middx:Doughty, Dunkley
Andover/IOW/Fulham:Gasser
Fulham: Neal
Bucks:Putnam,Wingrove
Bullwell.Notts:Wilkinson
Clerkenwell/Islington:Wyllie
Herts/ Tottenham/Walthamstow:Young

Offline AndyD_OHD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 January 08 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Springbok,

Yup, I was thinking of Pedigree building software.

I'll certainly trawl the different postings, and try to eek out advice on this whole area. I was quite disappointed to see how much the different sites I mentioned actually charge for their resources, but I suppose it is a great way for someone to make money as more and more of us get to that age when we want to establish who we are and where we have come from...  :)

Cheers
Andy
Downie - Lanarkshire/Fife
Wright - Lanarkshire
Forsyth - Lanarkshire
Connor - Lanarkshire

Offline Springbok

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 January 08 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Well Ancestry has the same Births marriages and deaths on that Free BMD has, but it also has the complete 1837 to 2003 records as "findmy past"has which is really expensive as you pay one unit per record.All the existing Census returns from 1841  to 1901.

You may do better to start with by asking for help on the appropriate boards.

I don't think people realize just how expensive this hobby can be to start with, if you don't know how to go about it.I spent a fortune on unnecessary searches before I found others who could help.

My advice is to take it slowly until you become more confidant.

Good hunting

Spring
Dorset: Ackerman,Bungey,Bunter Chant,Hyle
Islington:Bedford, Eaton,Wilkins
Beds,Fulham: Brazier
Shoreditch: Burton,Coverdale
Essex ,Clerkenwell:Craswell,Cresswell
St.Lukes Middx:Doughty, Dunkley
Andover/IOW/Fulham:Gasser
Fulham: Neal
Bucks:Putnam,Wingrove
Bullwell.Notts:Wilkinson
Clerkenwell/Islington:Wyllie
Herts/ Tottenham/Walthamstow:Young

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 January 08 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy

Welcome to RootsChat - lots of free genealogy information exists, but sometimes the most difficult question may need a payment to resolve  :)  - then again often one gets lucky!

I don't store any of my family data online - I use FTM on my machine to store my data. The free program often mentioned is PAF which you can download from family search

www.familysearch.org - This is the LDS site & they have MANY free resources for family researchers.

I DO use ancestry (UK data) for my research. I think the UK price is currently 80 pounds a year 7 pounds per month, which is not alot for a hobby I spend lots of time doing  :) - It was about a year after I started researching that I joined - so checking what is available before buying is something many of us seem to do ( take it slowly as mentioned by Spring).

This thread put together by BerlinBob as part of the RC lexicon links to  many discussions re Family History Programs
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,158637.0.html

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 January 08 11:50 GMT (UK) »
In terms of putting your family tree on the Internet, then GenesReunited is actually free.  You do not have to join GenesReunited in order to use their Tree Builder software.  However if you want to contact other people on GR then you must become a member.  So it is not pricey at all.

I think your question is in two parts:-

1) Free software
2) the cost of searching.

The answer to question one is that there are free family tree programs out there (including GR).  Also you have to keep an eye on newspapers and family tree periodicals because sometimes they give away free copies of programs from time-to-time.  I'm currently using a free copy of Family Tree Maker 2005 which was a freebie with the Sunday Times a couple of years ago.  Personal Ancestry File (PAF) from the LDS is a free, but basic program and has already been mentioned.

The answer to question two is that all information is free if you know where to look.  All county archives are free and they have the complete census records from 1841 to 1901 available.  They also have census card indexes in surname order for their county, making it easy to locate the record on microfiche or microfilm.  They also have all the county parish records available on microfiche or microfilm.  Things cost money if you want to search from the comfort of your home and you want to look at national indexes, particularly at more recent records.
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk