Author Topic: Bone Dealer?  (Read 4554 times)

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Time Wasted is Time Lost
    • View Profile
Bone Dealer?
« on: Monday 07 January 08 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Through out his life my third great Grandfather William Smedley (born 1797, died 1870)  was described at different times as:
Cordwainer, Shoe Maker, Master Shoe Maker and Shop Keeper/General Dealer.

I have just obtined a marriage certificate for one of his daughters dated December 1865.  On the certificate he is described as a "Bone Dealer".  Could someone please tell me what he would have probably done?  Collected  bones for turning in to fertiliser? As this was a depressed time was he perhaps trying to supplement is income as a shoe maker? Five out of his six sons emigrated around the 1860's.

Any information would be much appreciated.
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bone Dealer?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 January 08 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi!

Maybe he was what we used to call a Rag and Bone Man  :-\
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 January 08 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Thats along the line that I was thinking but . . . . .
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline Indaloman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 January 08 14:01 GMT (UK) »
More likely he collected the bones which were then turned into glue
Knight (Nottingham & Hants) Hancock, (Kent) , Hancox (Warwickshire), Linneys (Hants) Brothers (Langford, Beds,East London), Bridgers (East London)

Other restorers please feel free to use my work if wished

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 January 08 14:14 GMT (UK) »
thanks for that - given the time that is very likely - Andy