Author Topic: What are the chances of that?  (Read 3461 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
What are the chances of that?
« on: Monday 07 January 08 15:02 GMT (UK) »
There's one side of my family tree where I have been insanely lucky. I'm descended from a man called Roger Barkache (or Trewartha... or Andrewartha... depending on what his fancy was at the time...) and when I googled "Trewartha", I found an entire family tree on the internet for the Trewartha family, including my ancestors! Anyhoo, all that lot were in Cornwall, and they branched off to Australia and America. I was in correspondance with a couple who are in charge of the site and I live over the other side of the country from all this in a very small and boring town. It was only after I found them in the family tree that I found out... of all the places in the world, this couple actually got married in the church next to my house! What are the chances of that??  :D

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: What are the chances of that?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 January 08 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Wow Ayashi how lucky is that finding your tree! Sometimes the saying is true - the world is a small place

Never been luck enough to find someone who is researching my lines and already done the work - think the job has fell to me lol

Did manage to find one tree relating to my cousins side of the family that goes back to the 1500's - that was in Cornwall too

Welcome to Rootschat too!

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 January 08 15:42 GMT (UK) »
The outer twigs of my tree have an Elias ANDREWARTHA (born Gwythian, Cornwall) who moved to the Isle of Man, whose daughter settled in Cumberland.
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 January 08 15:54 GMT (UK) »
I believe there were a few in my family born in Gwithian. The website is http://www.miketree.co.uk/trewartha/surnlist.htm They won't be interested in non-Trewartha lines, I'm afraid (I'm not on there because she married into a different family) but I would be interested if there is a match! Go to Roger Trewartha/Barkache/Androwartha and his grandson Philip, I'm told, is the "Proto-Andrewartha". If Elias is his name, I don't recognise it on the tree. If you have parents for him, they might be on there somewhere.

Offline jinks

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Thomas Pye
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 January 08 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Ayashi

I too happened across one of my Paternal lines by googling
surname,unusual first name and placename and found a
website whos tree included by Paternal Grandafather.

My lines were correct but they had obviously done more
research on other branches that I had not looked at.

Emailed the website owner and managed to get a
copy of a photograph of my Great Grandmother when she
was younger than the only one I had.

I shared the information on my line and a few other lines
which they did not seem to have at the time.

I think what I enjoyed the most was finding out that
someone else was researching the same family and their
research and mine was almost identical with no help from
each other.

Jinks
Ashton Lancashire
Eccles Lancashire
Fletcher Lancashire
Harwood Church/Darwen
Jackson Staffordhire/Worcestershire
Jenkinson Cockerham
Marsden Hoghton Lancashire
Mercer Lancashire/Yorkshire
Pye Wyresdale
Singleton Lancashire
Swarbrick  Longridge
Watt Scotland/Lancashire

Offline Crystaline

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 January 08 19:59 GMT (UK) »
I found the family tree of part of my mothers side just by googling (Richardsons). A very extensive and comprehensive one at that! I contacted the compiler who was a remote cousin.  I was able to give her the names and a sketchy tree of part of the tree which she would not have found as my bit was not legitemised and Smiths!!! How I love the internet!
But, Ayashi,  to find someone who got married next door is real spooky!  One wonders how many of us pass our cousins in the street!
 :)
Dutton Smith Richardson Sneyd Manders. 
Places - Stourbridge Dudley Aston Shropshire

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 15:15 GMT (UK) »
It's just a pity I haven't had as much luck googling "Jones"  ;D

Offline Crystaline

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Ah, but but my ggg grandfather was a real bastard! I mean a REAL bastard was born a Smith!   So I sympathise.  ::) ::)
Should have been a Richardson!! His mother married the Father eventually but of course James Smith could not have his fathers name! Thank goodness we have a family bible and some sketchy attempts by predecessors of a family tree. :)
Dutton Smith Richardson Sneyd Manders. 
Places - Stourbridge Dudley Aston Shropshire

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, you just made me laugh!

It so happens that Trewartha is common in Cornwall, Uglow is apparently common in Cornwall, and Jones is common in Wales. It's not that fun to find out you are as common as muck, rofl