Author Topic: Henry BAYNTON of Tasmania - 19th Century  (Read 4852 times)

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Henry BAYNTON of Tasmania - 19th Century
« on: Tuesday 08 January 08 06:56 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me with information about Henry BAYNTON, a wealthy butcher and landowner, who apparently operated in Tasmania (both Launceston and Hobart) in the middle of the nineteenth century? It also appears that he had interests in Portarlington in Victoria and operated a business between the two colonies.

Using a search engine, I have found various references to him between about 1829 and 1875, and he is frequently mentioned in directories, court proceedings, and newspaper articles.

I would like any biographical details about him, especially where he came from in England.

Any leads would be most welcome.

Many thanks and best wishes to all for the New Year.

Philip Candy

Offline CuriousDiana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Henry BAYNTON of Tasmania - 19th Century
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Philip

His name appears on the www.archives.tas.gov.au website, along with pages of other Bayntons.  One Henry Baynton is shown as born 1795 Hamps., England.  You could write to the Tas Archives in Hobart for the kind of info you want (see contact details on their website).  The Launceston Library Family History Section is also very helpful.

Diana

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for this information.

Unfortunately I was hoping that he was from Somerset in England, so it doesn't look as if he is directly related to Dr Thomas BAYNTON who also migrated to Tasmania before moving on to Victoria.

Nevertheless, it is important to eliminate these possibilities, and I'm grateful to you for the suggestions about how to follow up the Tasmanian Archives.

Kind regards and thanks again

Philip Candy

Offline jamsuzsar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 April 09 13:32 BST (UK) »
I am quite new to this site.  I found a very old posting 2007.

I am in Queensland Australia and am researching back from our family branch of Colefax.  I have just recently been in touch with a lady named Kay in Nsw. We are trying to find out something about a Dr Thomas Baynton. 

Our Thomas Baynton had a niece named Elizabeth Baynton who lived at the home of Dr Thomas Baynton in the Bristol area until she eloped in Aug 1852.  Elizabeth and her husband Henry came out to Australia in 1853.  On his death cert his father is Thomas Baynton MD amd mother Eliza Smith.

Could this be a connection to you

Marc

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 April 09 21:38 BST (UK) »
I do have quite a lot of information about Dr Henry Baynton, however I have just travelled abroad for five weeks and can't access my files until I get back home at the end of May.  By coincidence I am coming to Brisbane this morning; I am writing this to you from the airport at Sydney!

If I have any inspirations in the meantime I'll see you a Personal message (PM) but otherwise it will have to wait until I get back to London.

Kind regards

Philip Candy

Offline baynton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 May 09 07:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil , Might be able to help you there Yes they are related A lot of the Bayntons come from Kingston south of Hobart . Henry was my great great great grandfather. They also were the last family to drop shot from the shot tower in Taroona. The family lived at the Kingston golf course for some time and Im not sure what Henry did but the others were builders and Bakers having owned many businesses in and around HObart Launceston Melbourne and Brisbane. If you needmore info please let me know there is a great archive in the library but also there is a coat of arms and records from england . They also went to NZ and own Brackenfield Station in Canterbury.  They originated from bath and middlesex and owned many properties. Abbey of Bronham  in England holds a lot of info and also Baynton Starky private family museum in NZ

Offline baynton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 May 09 07:15 BST (UK) »
Who wanted to know about DR Thomas Baynton???? He went to Western Australia and started a Pastrol Company in fact they had 100,000 acres near Carnarvon Western Australia  it survived for some time but of course is now Carnarvon there is a hill named Baynton Hill there its believed it is eactly where the Maitland River is ? not to sure on that though thats family hearsay. He then moved but to where not sure. There is also a Martin Baynton in NZ who is famous childrens illustrator and writer, He resides in the Coromandel Pennisula area

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 May 09 06:25 BST (UK) »
I am quite new to this site.  I found a very old posting 2007.

I am in Queensland Australia and am researching back from our family branch of Colefax.  I have just recently been in touch with a lady named Kay in Nsw. We are trying to find out something about a Dr Thomas Baynton. 

Our Thomas Baynton had a niece named Elizabeth Baynton who lived at the home of Dr Thomas Baynton in the Bristol area until she eloped in Aug 1852.  Elizabeth and her husband Henry came out to Australia in 1853.  On his death cert his father is Thomas Baynton MD and mother Eliza Smith.

Could this be a connection to you

Marc

Hello Marc
Thanks for writing.  I am now back in England and have checked my database. Thomas BAYNTON married Eliza Arabella SMITH on 19 December 1816 at Radstock in Somerset.  She died in 1835, and at some stage he came to Victoria, where he died in 1872.

I am confused, however, about whether it was Elizabeth or Henry whose parents were Thomas and Eliza?  Maybe I'm not reading your posting properly, but I get confused about whether Elizabeth's maiden name was COLEFAX or BAYNTON?

If you can let me have any extra information, I can tell you how this family fits together.

I'll look forward to hearing from you again.

Kind regards

Philip Candy

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 June 09 02:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The name Bayton caught my attention.

In my records I have Barbara Ewart who married
1. 1880  Alexander Frater  they had 3 children and later divorced!!!
2. 1890 Dr THomas Bayton 1 son who died young
3.  1921 Lord Headly separated 1922

Barabara Bayton was a published autor and the information comes from one of her books, supported by Australian documentation.

Barbara's daughter Penelope Frater married Henry Somer Gullet they named their son Henry Baynton Somer Gullett later Sir Henry Gullett an Australian diplomat.

Reference to Barbara Bayton and the two Henry Gulletts can be found in the Australian Dictionary of Biography  http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/

regards

Robyn in Australia

The following families and their Australian decendents:
Abbott, Barnard, Clarke, Inward, Lanfear, Rutter,Spencer:Middlesex
Greenaway:Cornwall
Edney, Godwin/Goodwin, Gullett:Hampshire;
Gullett:Devon
Emms:39th Regiment of Foot 1810-1832
Gordon:Scotland
Arnold, Morton:Ireland
Davies:Wales
Olcorn:Cumberland