Author Topic: Question that keeps me awake at night  (Read 4585 times)

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
Re: Question that keeps me awake at night
« Reply #27 on: Monday 14 January 08 01:57 GMT (UK) »
MarieC
I think bankrupts did disappear to start a new life somewhere, elsewhere - so maybe that's what he did and maybe his family knew ?
I have to say though, I have often wondered about all the people who disappear and still do today.
All I can say is I hope they are okay
And I know many others will be hoping that too
And knowing they will never be forgotten

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 14 January 08 02:24 GMT (UK) »

I believe our Ancestors were as obsessed with self preservation - as we are with the past !

Years ago ... I asked my Mum's oldest brother what he knew about the family and his Grandparents .... his reply ?

.... "we were too busy trying to stay alive .... all the kids ..... not enough food on the table ..... the fallout out from the Boer War ...... WW1 .... our mother dying young in childbirth ..... a step mother who didn't give a d*** .... the feeling that nobody gave two hoots about any of us - we had no time to worry about who went before - we were too busy trying to live !!" :-\

Annie  :-\

I just want to hug 'em all !!
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 14 January 08 12:39 GMT (UK) »
My mother often said she could have written a book about all the scandal in her family - she told me a few things but not much - certain things are apparently better unsaid to the youngest in the family - when I started to trace the tree I knew what she meant. I think I found out a few things she didn't know either!  So I think a lot of information got popped in that cupboard with the skeleton in it.
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline madfan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 14 January 08 20:16 GMT (UK) »
So I think a lot of information got popped in that cupboard with the skeleton in it.

Cheshiremog: I think we've all got one of those  :D

I know when I first started my mum told my grandad and his first reaction was 'whats she doing that for, whats she trying to find?' he couldn't really understand why I was bothering, although I think he's started to get a more interested now.

Zoe
Newell/Newall - Sussex
Holden - Sussex & Canada
Humphrey - Sussex
Puttick/Puttock - Sussex
Butler - Sussex
Hawkesworth - Staffs, Derbyshire
McConnell - Ireland, Warwick. Cannock
Grantham - Warwickshire & New Zealand
Wall, Kavanagh, Dollard - Ireland: Laois
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 14 January 08 22:40 GMT (UK) »
When we researched the soldiers named on our local village memorial in about 2000- which took a whole team of us about three years to complete - (just before the days of the 1901 Census and prior censuses being available so readily online) - I had several dreams about the named soldiers, (whose live stories we were gradually learning about) - knocking on my door- in the middle of the night. Calling to see me. I always felt it was if they were telling us to continue. I'm glad we did - and everyone involved in the project agreed it was one of the most fulfilling things they had ever done. I would love to meet one of the soldiers we never traced fully.
Staffs - HEAPY
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline Loretogirl47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 16 January 08 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Without a doubt, my paternal Great Grandmother.  She was born in 1867, a month after her father passed away.  Her mother re-married less than a year later, a widower, with 9 children, they proceeded to have 2 more children together, I wonder if it was a "love" match.

I would love to ask her, my G.grandmother, what life was like being an outsider, she had no natural siblings, just steps and halfs.  Incidentally, her half sister, who was a couple of years younger than her, was deaf, that was of course something they listed on the census, alongside imbecile!!!!!  I wonder what her life was like, she became quite a successful cake decorater, from what I can find out, I am sure that wasn't an easy feat in the 1880s/1890s.

I had a difficult time finding my G.grandmother, as she used her second name and was listed on the census with her step-faters surname, except when she was living with her maternal grandmother for one census, she was enumerated with her grandmothers surname!!!  It took 10 years of chasing down wrong paths, I finally found her, with the help of a friend, who gave me a copy of her birth certificate as a 60th birthday present, along with a copy of her ancestors.
Gresty/Cheshire/Lancashire
Pedlar/lancashire/Devon
Cottrill/Lancashire
McCreesh/Lancashire/Ireland
Sharkey/Ireland
Rothwell/Lancashire,Oldham
Taylor/Middleton/Lancashire
Daxon/Cheshire/Lancashire
Platt/Cheshire/Lancashire
Hoult/Cheshire/Lancashire

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 16 January 08 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, Inprincegeorge !  May we call you InPG ?   And are you inprincegeorge ?

I hoep you enjoy your time on this site ... there is always someone ready to help out, so start asking for help.  The photo restoration board is one of my favourites ... what they can do with old faded and torn photos has to be seen to be believed !
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline blodwen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Colin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 16 January 08 17:58 GMT (UK) »
I would  ask my g-grandmother why she came down to Uxbridge, Middlesex from Middlesbrough with her 3 daughters!  They all married here).

My Mum has no idea - and a relative with who I am in contact through GR, with relatives still knowing most of the family story, also has no idea.

That would be - or is - at least one of my questions.

Viv
Gywnedd/Caernarvonshire: Roberts, Evans;
Glamorganshire: Griffiths, Thomas;
Middlesex: Sibley, Barnett;
Beds: Sibley
Kent: Jury, Hunt;
Yorkshire/Middlesbrough: Wright, Sullivan;
Irleand/Cork: Donovan, Sullivan;
Northern Ireland (Monaghan): Keefe;

Census information is crown copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Loretogirl47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 16 January 08 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I am in Prince  George and you may call me PG.  I haven't been on Roots Chat for a while, as I have been persuing other things. 

I am going to the UK next week and hope to spend some time chasing elusive dead rellies, I am attending a family reunion in Ireland and hope to find out more on that side of the family.
Gresty/Cheshire/Lancashire
Pedlar/lancashire/Devon
Cottrill/Lancashire
McCreesh/Lancashire/Ireland
Sharkey/Ireland
Rothwell/Lancashire,Oldham
Taylor/Middleton/Lancashire
Daxon/Cheshire/Lancashire
Platt/Cheshire/Lancashire
Hoult/Cheshire/Lancashire