Author Topic: Close Families  (Read 3148 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Close Families
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 17:12 GMT (UK) »
No Josephine you're not dense- it's just very complicated!
Even worse was a cousin of my grandmother's story- Surname Gardner and she had 3 Gardner grandparents on 4th one was a McLeod. She married a McLeod (3 McLeod grandparents and 4th one a Gardner)- all these McLeods and Gardner were related to each other. Couple had one child who died as an infant and it was maybe just as well they didn't have any more children.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 23:37 GMT (UK) »
This is all getting very confusing  ??? ??? ???
I have some Coopers & Greens who did it too. One even got to be George Cooper Green.
I myself am a double first cousin  ;D  I would love to know how that affects genetics.  When medical people ask you stuff like "do you have any sisters who had breast cancer?" No, but I have a double first cousin who did. All the same genes but too technical for them to compute.  :o
  Cheers,
Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 10 January 08 11:06 GMT (UK) »
In my tree I have two brothers marrying two sisters. Then the 'boys' widowed mother marrys the 'girls' widowed father!

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 10 January 08 13:30 GMT (UK) »
I also have this many times in my 19th century families. The highest number I have found is three - brother & 2 sisters married a sister and 2 brothers. I think it happened because there was little opportunity for the women to meet eligible men  -  so the siblings of family  spouses were one of the groups they were "allowed" to meet. 

In one of my Oz families, there appeared to be only 4 named families in the village where they lived - so the children of these families married each other. One of my older uncles said many years ago, when asked about the families - "things were a bit complicated between these four families"  :)  rather an understatement  :D

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 10 January 08 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Oh yeah, one of my Dad's brothers married a girl from a family like that. Up the far reaches of the Hawksbury River, some didn't even have the "blessings of the church" My Aunt was OK but some of her cousins suffered with 'genetic problems',   :o scary.
Cheers,
Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.