Author Topic: BDM query - any ideas  (Read 2869 times)

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BDM query - any ideas
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 22:09 GMT (UK) »
There is a  'Female'  listed on the GRO birth index, who I am certain was later baptised as Charlotte, since she is the only birth registered in the right district at the right time and with the right surname.   

I imagine that a name had not been decided upon when the birth was registered, and very likely her parents were not interested in going to the trouble of amending the registration.  Her name was recorded in the Church register, so why bother? (I don't know whether there would have been a charge for an amendment - if there was it would certainly have put them off)

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wattsy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 22:17 GMT (UK) »
My Stephanie Luck was born out of wedlock so maybe Mum and Dad were not talking or maybe Dad was refusing to recognise his daughter and hence no name.  Alternatively, maybe there was the possibility that Stephanie was going to be brought up my a member of the family and they might have wanted to chose the name.

However, Mum married a few years later and Stephanie was brought up within their family.  But no records of any baptism.

Wattsy

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 22:24 GMT (UK) »
My mother's birth certificate has no name on it.  The relationship of the informant is "present at birth" and their address is the hospital where she was born.  Date of birth and parent's names, address and father's occupation are correct but no name is given for the child.  There are no names in the column for the addition of names.

The copy that I have was issued more than 20 years after her birth and is presumably the one she used to establish identity for her marriage, passports, etc.

Her parents were definitely married two years earlier.  I have a more recent copy of that certificate.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)