Author Topic: James Anderson (Paisley)  (Read 3429 times)

Offline milto1384

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Anderson (Paisley)
« on: Tuesday 08 January 08 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I was hoping someone might be able to help me trace James Anderson from Paisley. He married Helen Allan (m. 1852, d. 1918). Is anyone able to find him on census so I can possibly get more information about his family and possibly try and find out when he died so I can find his parents on his death certificate?

Any help would be most appreciated!

Regards,

Alan

Offline weemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: James Anderson (Paisley)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 January 08 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Alan do you know when james was born?
Beaton Bethune, Campbell -  ROC
Mitchell Leslie - Aberdeen
Mackintosh, Anderson (Provost) -  Inverness
Boyle, Mckechnie, McPhail, Fulton  - Ireland, Greenock, Kilbrachan
Pearce, Curnoe/Curnow -  Cornwall
Patterson, Robson, Sloan, Campbell, Dixon, Wilson, Ritson, Hedley, Vipond, Coulson -  South Shields, Sunderland, Northumberland, Cumberland
Kitcheham/Kitchingham, Gage -  Kent

Offline milto1384

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 January 08 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I really don't know when he was born. I am guessing around 1830  but I could be wrong. I am only assuming that he started having a family in his early 20's- that could be a bad assumption! Don't know much about him other than he married Helen Allan in 1852.

Regards,

Alan

Offline weemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 January 08 17:12 GMT (UK) »
alan

have sent you a PM

good luck -  let me know how you get on  ;)

Mary
Beaton Bethune, Campbell -  ROC
Mitchell Leslie - Aberdeen
Mackintosh, Anderson (Provost) -  Inverness
Boyle, Mckechnie, McPhail, Fulton  - Ireland, Greenock, Kilbrachan
Pearce, Curnoe/Curnow -  Cornwall
Patterson, Robson, Sloan, Campbell, Dixon, Wilson, Ritson, Hedley, Vipond, Coulson -  South Shields, Sunderland, Northumberland, Cumberland
Kitcheham/Kitchingham, Gage -  Kent

Offline amillar1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 February 12 10:39 GMT (UK) »
hi, I have a relative called James Anderson who married a Helen Allan around the same time. They later had a daughter called Agnes who married a George Johnston in 1874, could this be the same James Anderson you are speaking about?

Alistair

Offline milto1384

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 February 12 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alistair,

It looks like we  could have the same relative! James Anderson married Helen Allan on 31/1/1852. They later had a daughter names Agnes Anderson who married George Morrice Johnston on 24/7/1874. Looks like we could hopefully swap information!!! I have a fair amount of info on the Johnston, and Allan sides, however have very little on the Andersons.

Alan

Offline amillar1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 February 12 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Morning Alan.
Thanks for getting back in touch.
I only started tracing my roots a month or so ago and my info is very basic, mainly from wedding certificates.
My tie to James and Helen is my mother Agnes Johnston Wilson. her father David Johnston Wilson was the son of Agnes Anderson and George Morrice (Morris) Johnston, Agnes Anderson being James and Helen's daughter.

Offline milto1384

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 February 12 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alistair,

I'm slightly confused with your information. You are related to David Johnston Wilson (son of George Johnston & Agnes Anderson? Do you mean David Johnston? Or is the surname Wilson? I have no information for a son called David.

My link to George Johnston and Agnes Anderson is their son Robert Johnston. He had a daughter Margaret Millar Johnston (my gran). She had a son Ronald Gilogley Milton and he had me- Alan Milton.

I have a fair amount of information for this side of the family but my information stops dead at James Anderson.

If you want we can compare what information we have got?

Alan

Offline amillar1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 February 12 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Alan, fingers and braiin - no connection apparently!!
My mother, Agnes Johnston Wilson's father, David Johnston Wilson, was the son of James Wilson and Agnes Johnston, Agnes being the daughter of Agnes Anderson and George Morrice Johnston.

Agnes and James were married in Rothes in April 1903, my grandfather David Johnston Wilson being born some 3 months later, July 1903.

The Wilson side primarily originated around Stewarton where they had a history of bonnet making.

Would I be right in saying that Agnes and George had at least three children - Agnes (b 1882), Helen (b 1894) and Robert?

From the 1911 Census, Helen Johnston is living with James and Agnes Wilson at their home in Stewarton.

Funny how the name Millar, with an "a" turns up in your family, as obviously my father's side are Millars, with an "a" who appear to have come from the Bellshill/Glasgow area??