Author Topic: Question about men's clothing 19thC  (Read 852 times)

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Question about men's clothing 19thC
« on: Wednesday 09 January 08 08:27 GMT (UK) »
The gentleman is wearing pants which appear to have a gingham-like weave, a dark-light colour combination.  (The wife is wearing a dark-colured full length dress with a corset that pushes her up to unrealistic heights!  How did they wear those things?!)  It might be a wedding photo, as there are no children in it
Hubby thinks the gingham-style weave dates from US Civil War or thereabouts.  Photo taken in Canada.  Judging by ages etc., it must have been between about 1860 and 1880, but I wondered if anything knew anything about these pants!  Was it a passing fad, or was it associated with some symbolism?  They look strange, to me!
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Question about men's clothing 19thC
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 January 08 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Loo,

any chance that you can post the photograph restoration board so that we can have a look, that way you might get a better response to your question.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 January 08 15:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm technologically challenged, so, no, I would find that difficult at this stage.
However, I actualaly found this photo  online, and the pants are quite visible if the photo is lightened up, which even I can do!
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~gaelynn/merrick.htm - I'm looking at the very first photo, of William Merrick and Maria Golden.  (This is not my site.)
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
HALLS - Chigwell
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 January 08 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi loo...judging by the woman's skirt, sleeves and hairstyle I'd put this photo between 1865 and 1868 or very close to this frame. It's a pity it's not your website because this is a lovely photo and could be vastly improved by our restorers! I did download it but am not sure I should be posting someone else's stuff without permission. Unfortunately I know nothing about the pants in question.

Why don't you write to the owners of this website and invite them over to the Photo Restoration board at Rootschat!

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 January 08 18:34 GMT (UK) »
I think the trousers would just be in a houndstooth check pattern - I think it was just the fashion at the time and doesn't have any  other connotation.

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 January 08 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both.
I had no idea it was possible to narrow down the woman's clothes to such a narrow time frame!  I'm so pleased to have found this photo, as it is by far the oldest I have found in my tree.
I neglected to mention that the couple were born in the 1837-1840 range, but I don't know when they married.

I actually have written to the person in question, but have not received a response.  I fear the email addy may be out of date, as they so often are.  It would be a great idea, though, to get her to submit the photos for restoration, as she has several, and she might appreciate it even more than I!
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
HALLS - Chigwell
MEYER - Lauenstein