Author Topic: Father not named  (Read 738 times)

Online jo1962

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Father not named
« on: Wednesday 09 January 08 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks,

I hope one of you experienced researchers can help a novice  ::) My great grandmother - she was a twin was born in 1884, a month later her mother married her father. what puzzles me is why he isn't named on her birth or marriage certificate? My great grandmother was given her mothers maiden name.  The evidence I have to support him being her father is some old insurance receipts, and she is named on his death certificate as 'daughter'.  I also think its highly unlikely a man would marry a woman with twins one month after they were born if he wasn't the father!  does anybody know if back in that era an illegitmate child couldn't have the fathers name entered onto birth and marriage certs?

Many thanks

Jo  :)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Father not named
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 15:16 GMT (UK) »
At that time, under legislation which came into force in 1875, an unmarried father's name and occupation could only appear on the birth certificate if both mother and father requested it and both parents attended the registration and signed the entry as informants.

As to marriage, in practice a bride or groom could say what they liked to the Registrar/minister as to who their father was as there was no checking done.  However, if the bride's surname was her mother's maiden name she might not have wished to draw attention to her illegitimacy by mentioning the name of a father with a different surname.

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 16:35 GMT (UK) »
There could be many reasons why either the bride or groom did not want the father's details shown on the certificate, and the instructions to the clergy clearly say "If, on these Particulars being asked for, there be ANY hesitation or reluctance to state them, no further inquiry need be made".
The vicar was not to ask for the reason, and allowed to leave the columns blank, in other words there was no compulsion to give the information.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online jo1962

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou both for your replies, they make things a lot clearer.

Jo

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Jo- have you found a church baptismal record? Sometimes the father of an illegitiamte child will be listed in the register. However, in a case like this if the parents were married at the time of the baptism the name of the mother's husband might be listed as the father whether or not he actually was the 'real' father of the child.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online jo1962

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

No I haven't yet found baptism records though I have a trip planned to the records office next week.

Thanks for your reply

Jo