Author Topic: Death of Mary May (Between 1845 & 1851)  (Read 3585 times)

Offline milto1384

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death of Mary May (Between 1845 & 1851)
« on: Wednesday 09 January 08 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I was hoping someone could help e find out when Mary May died. She is on the 1841 census (aged 25), and had a son on 3/5/1845 however on the 1851 census her husband had remarried so I assume she died between those dates. I definetey know she was dead before 1866 because she is shown as deceased on her sons marriage certificate.

Can anyne help a all or point me in the right direction as to where I could possibly find out?

Regards,

Alan

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Mary May (Between 1845 & 1851)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 January 08 12:22 GMT (UK) »
I think we need a few more clues here.

You say she appears on the 1841 census - What is her address at this time?
She had a son in 1845 - What is his name and where was he born?
Her husband remarried - What is his name and where was he born?
Do you know where & when they were married?

If you could post these details, and anything else you know that might help, then I'm sure someone on here will be able to find out something for you.

Cheers
Jim
Irvine Gove Watt Stronner

Offline milto1384

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 January 08 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Lookin at my post now- i realise I hardly gave any information!!! Sorry about that!

Mary had a son (James Hogg Thom) on 3/5/1845 in Peterhead. Mary was maried to John Hogg Thom and were living at Newseat (Peterhead) at the time of the 1841 census. They married on 20/1/1835 in Peterhead. Both Mary and John were both born in Peterhead and John was born in 1814 in Peterhead. In the 1851 census John was married to a Jean ??? from Inverness. I assume Mary died between the dates of 1845 and 1851 due to this information, just not sure when!

Hope someone can help me with this problem of mine,

Regards,

Alan

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 January 08 21:00 GMT (UK) »
hi alan

on the IGI there is a marriage john thom to jane mcpherson
12th october 1850 peterhead aberdeenshire

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 January 08 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Reply to milto1384 -

Alan,
If she died in Peterhead, which seems fairly likely, she will most probably be buiried in the South Road cemetery. I'm actually going to Peterhead tomorrow, weather permitting, and if I get the chance, I'll have a look round there for you.  However, needles & haystacks come to mind!

I've had a look on the ANESFHS website, but unfortunately it's one of the cemeteries that they don't have the MI's for, but they do say that the records of this are held by the Abeedeenshire Council registrars.

I've to take my car into the garage in Aberdeen on Tuesday, and I'm going into the ANESFHS shop while I'm waiting for my car to be fixed.  I'll ask them for help while I'm in there.

Failing that, I know that the Aberdeenshire Library service have a lot of the OPR's on microfilm.  The office where all this is held is only 5 minutes walk from my house!  You have to book a time, but it's free!  I'll probably be in there sometime in the next couple of weeks looking for some information for my tree, so I can look there as well

We'll find her yet !  (If some of the other people who are far better at this than me haven't found her first)

Cheers
Jim
Irvine Gove Watt Stronner

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 January 08 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The link below has some very good Peterhead info. If you go to the link to Lairs (Peterhead Old Kirkyard Lair Records) you will find that a Mary May died in 1848 age 36 and was buried in Lair ref C221. Also in that ref no are
Christian Thom died 1844 age 8
Mary Thom died 1863 age 25
Ann Thom died 1869 age 52
Jane McPherson died 1852 age 46 (second wife?)

http://users.bigpond.net.au/phdgen/

Hope this helps

Andy

Offline milto1384

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 January 08 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for the information!!! I have come on leaps and bounds since getting it! Everything seems to be piecing together now!

Thanks again,

Al

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 January 08 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Fantastic link andycand.
It is amazing how much there is online that I don't know about. I've already found some of my lot on that site. Thanks.
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan