Author Topic: Haddon Marriage.  (Read 3288 times)

Offline Tessy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Haddon Marriage.
« on: Wednesday 09 January 08 22:54 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for the marriage of Jane Haddon ( no maiden name). She is born in 1811 in Scotland and has two sons on the 1871 census called Ralph aged 28 and William 26.

If anyone can trace a marriage I'd be grateful

Tessy

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Haddon Marriage.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 January 08 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tessy

I have tracked them back to the 1841 census and all children were born in Northumberland which is where Jane was still living in 1871.  Ralph is not shown as b Scotland although Jane is so there is a strong possibility that they married in England so you may want to consider posting on the Northumberland board in case any parish records are available that are not online.  Given the age of Mary - the marriage was probably in the region of 1829/30

This is the family in 1841 - Carham Northumberland

Ralph Haddon 35 ag Lab - not b Northumberland
Jane 30 b Scotland
Mary 10
John 5
Jane 1

1851 for Paston Northumberland - Jane is now widowed.  All children b Carham

Jane Haddon 34 b Scotland  pauper - widow of agric labourer
John Haddon 13 
Jane Haddon 11 
Ralph Haddon 8 
William Haddon 6 
Eleanor Haddon 3 

Deaths

Ralph Haddon March qtr 1849  Glendale  Northumberland
Volume: 25 Page: 207

Births
Ralph Haddon June qtr 1842  Glendale  Volume: 25  Page: 263

A copy of Ralph's birth cert will give you Jane's maiden name

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 January 08 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Carole,

I've already done these census look-ups 

to save duplication see other thread at http://www.rootschat.com/links/02i6/

Barbara
 :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 January 08 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tessy

This IGI entry fits his birthyear - but he appears to have been b Northumberland which does not fit the 1841 entry

RALPH HEDDON  Birth:  06 FEB 1807    

Christening  19 JUL 1807   Newburn, Northumberland
Father:  WILLIAM HEDDON    Mother:  JANE DONNISON
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Tessy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 January 08 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Yes I've seen that one, but it appears he was not born in county so I'll have to look elsewhere.

Thanks for your help

Tessy

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 January 08 01:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It would be sensible to get a copy of son Ralph's birth cert which at least will tell you Janes's maiden name

Why do you think they married in Scotland?

I'm looking for the marriage of Jane Haddon ( no maiden name). She is born in 1811 in Scotland and has two sons on the 1871 census called Ralph aged 28 and William 26.

If anyone can trace a marriage I'd be grateful

As you already knew her husbands name - it should have been included in your request -  it would be impossible to trace a marriage of a Jane?? to a Haddon without that info

It would also be useful to include an approx year of marriage based on the age of their eldest child in 1841

Giving as much info as possible helps others to help you - and avoids duplication of effort

Offline Tessy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 January 08 01:52 GMT (UK) »
The reason I thought they may have married in Scotland is because I cannot find a marriage for them on the IGI for Northumberland and as the wife is Scots and Carham/Mildrum Mill is right on the border, I thought it possible they may have married in Scotland. As far as the other information - when I wrote the original post I did not have her husband's Christian name otherwise I would have provided it:, that information was given to me by Barbara after I had posted on the Berwickshire board. I apologise for not posting that information on the Berwickshire board immediately I received it. I could not give the son's ages on the 1841 as I did not have the 1841 when I posted and they would not have been born on the 1841, so I gave their ages on the 1871.

I will get my friend, who I am doing this for to get the relevant birth certificates.

I'm sorry you duplicated Barbara's research and sorry if you feel you have wasted your time.

Tessy

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 January 08 02:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tessy

Don't just rule out the IGI birth for Ralph Heddon in 1807. Don't forget that Newburn, Northumberland was where he was baptised but not necessarily where he was born 5 months earlier. The Parish of Newburn was right on the border with Durham (divided by the River Tyne) so if for example he was born at a nearby relatives then that relative could be in Durham.

Andy

Offline Tessy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 January 08 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andycand

I'm looking at the Newburn christening, but also at a marriage in Cornhill in 1798 between a Ralph Haddon and a Jane Curry. The area is more in keeping with where he family is from and Ralph is what the eldest son is named.

I'll tell my friend ( whose family this is) to get hold of one of the older children's birth certificates so that we can find Jane's maiden name.

Thanks for your interest.

Tessy