Author Topic: Mr Carnegie, Lower?  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Kathykins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mr Carnegie, Lower?
« on: Thursday 10 January 08 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello all - I wonder if anyone can help me with another little mystery, or at least point me in the right direction!

I've got a OPR marriage record from 1791 in Forfar for David Scott and Mary Davidson, in which they're described as "Servants to Mr Carnegie of Lower." I'm wondering if there's anyway of finding out who Mr Carnegie was and where Lower was. Presumably if he could afford to employ two servants he had a bob or two, but I can't find mention of a farm or estate called Lower anywhere.

Has anyone else come across this mysterious chap?

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mr Carnegie, Lower?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 January 08 13:44 GMT (UK) »
I think that you mean Lour.

See the attached map from streetmap.co.uk -
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=347500&y=746500&z=5&sv=347500,746500&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&ax=347500&ay=746500
(I used to live near Upper Victoria at the bottom of the map, so know this area fairly well)

The Carnegie's of Lour are fairly famous.  Go into this link, and scroll down and you'll find them -
http://www.thepeerage.com/p20637.htm

Hope this helps.

Regards
Jim
Irvine Gove Watt Stronner

Offline Kathykins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mr Carnegie, Lower?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 January 08 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jim -  that's fantastic. :D I wondered if it might be an arcane spelling when I saw it. I see there are lots of records in the National Archives about the Carnegies, so perhaps I'll be able to find a mention of David and Mary there.