Author Topic: William Steele c1763 ripley & Sarah Malthouse hampsthwaite  (Read 5550 times)

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Steele c1763 ripley & Sarah Malthouse hampsthwaite
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 January 08 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Thanks for all the info on Abigail Calverely and the Malthouse family it's much appreciated, I'll have a look for them on familysearch.

Julie

Offline Angeladbc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 January 10 10:32 GMT (UK) »
I know it's a long time since you posted your query but thought you might be interested in the following.
 I'm descended from Sarah M's sister, Jane. There were several Malthouses in Hampsthwaite parish in the 18th century but not any more, though there are some in Knaresborough 7 miles away.
Several of them are listed in the burial records as 'Papists'. This may explain the absence of Ambrose's baptism record. Ambrose is a Catholic sounding name. The Inglebys, a local landowning family, were catholic so their tenants may also have been. 
I think Ambrose lived at or near Burnt Yates. His daughter, Jane, was a pupil at the school. He was involved in a boundary dispute there with a neighbour.  Burnt Yates, I think, was in the parish of Ripley & I haven't thoroughly checked the records.

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 January 10 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela

Welcome to Rootschat, hope you make lots of friends on here, I've had so much help over the years from other Rootschatters I would have been lost without them.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply, I'm always glad to hear from anyone researching the same families.  I've found Ambrose's death on the Calverley website well I hope it is, on the burial section there is an Ambrose Malthus who died aged 66 on 18 May 1816 Hampsthwaite.  I've come across the surname Malthus a few times as a variation of Malthouse, but still not found Ambrose's birth.  I didn't know about the boundary dispute or Jane going to the school at Burnt Yates. 

There are two families with a Nathaniel Calverley in them when you are going further back into Abigail's family, our Nathaniel is the one born 1647 Cowling Head, Kildwick to Thomas Calverley and Deborah, Bapt 19 Sept 1647 Cowling Head Chapel Kildwick.  THOMAS CALVERLEY 1624 Kildwick to William Calverley and Mary Wilson Bapt 10 Feb 1625 St Andrew's Church Kildwick.  WILLIAM CALVERLEY c1583 in Embsay, Skipton. William died Jan 1630/1, aged abt 47. Buried 18 Jan 1630/31 St. Andrew's Church, Kildwick. Most of the info is from Wharfegen another great free website if you haven't come across it already.

Regards
Julie

Offline veryoldgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 July 10 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am also connected to this line.  Unfortunately I cannot help you with any extra information as I am stuck in exactly the same spot as you.  My Ancestor was Thomas Steel baptised 9 Sept 1832 Hampsthwaite, son of William Steel.  I also have gathered most of my information from the Wharfegen website as well as the Calverley.info website.

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 June 20 04:19 BST (UK) »
the Hampsthwaite, West Riding, Yorkshire, England Baptism records have at least four children that I have found for Ambrose and Abigail

http://www.calverley.info/home.htm

I am looking for information re William Malthouse & Thamar (tamar) Walker.... married 22 September 1765 Hampsthwaite, West Riding, Yorkshire, England  I have most of their Children and my line is I believe down from their son John Bapt 23 Jan 1777 Hampsthwaite, West Riding, Yorkshire, England    He marries Ann Cuthbertson (could be Cuthbartson) 12 Oct 1794 

Few online trees see to link William and Ambrose but I can't seem to find anything that indicates this so I am probably catching at straws at the moment

Regards

Cheran  ???