Author Topic: Isabella Martha Wright  (Read 14781 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Martha Wright
« Reply #27 on: Monday 14 January 08 17:13 GMT (UK) »
KN,

It's how I found the Isabella Wright in Hungerford!

I just entered

First name: Isabella
birth/christening
1803 +or-  10 yrs
British Isles
England
Berkshire

and hit the search button!

I just tried it on the name John for the same details - and got at least 200 results.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hello. Am willing to share tree where appropriate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 14 January 08 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello dillybert,
Thanks for the completeness!

Hello Jill,
I will now try the fhs covering the St Andrew's / Holborn area for any further info on Henry and IMW/K's marriage.

Warm regards
Julie
BOYD: Scotland
FERGUSON: Scotland
KEMP:  Wiltshire, Berkshire, Middlesex, Essex, England
GREEN & DEEVES:  Essex, Middlesex, Suffolk, England
MCPHERSON:  Sutherland-Highlands, Edinburgh, Scotland
MILES & MOWAT:  England, South Africa; Australia
GREATREX: England; South Australia
PERKINS:  Cornwall; South Australia
WATKINS: Wales

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 14 January 08 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello KN
Thanks+  for the website reference.
Kindly
Julie

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 15 January 08 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Let us know how you get on, Julie. I'm sure you'll find Isabella eventually and I'm sure we'd all like to know where she did come from!!  ::)

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline KN

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 15 January 08 10:56 GMT (UK) »
You're absolutely right Jill!  I'd love to know where Isabella did come from - do let us know when (not if!) you find out Julie.

By the way Jill, I have finally figured out how to do a search using first names only on the IGI.  I was having my own 'DOH' moment by trying to do it on the general search page at the front of the familysearch website, rather than using the exclusive IGI search.  So I've learned something new.  Had a go with 'Isabella' - nothing of particular interest I'm afraid.

Good hunting Julie!
KN
Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Weaving, Drewe, Lay, Daly, Walker - Berkshire & Oxfordshire
Wood - Worcester, Hampshire, Wiltshire
Stone - Barnwood, Gloucestershire

All census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 15 January 08 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jill, KN and Dillybert,

Thanks very much for your interest and support.  I certainly will post or email you once i'm in the know!

Jill
Especial thanks:  for the London posting suggestion; the possible two baptisms of an Isabella Wright - one in 1798 the later one in 1810.  I will see what gives.  Both were as you said 30miles from Reading. 

KN
You sure tried!  I was pleased to get the baptismal church name for Henry's and Isabella's children.

Dillybert
Thanks for Jane Mary Bell's and Henry Kemp's wedding year of 1858. 

In ending,

i have to say that i do suspect at this time that Isabella Martha Wright did die in the 1850's.  I couldn't find her on any census beyond 1851.  The death cert that i'm expecting very soon will no doubt reveal that the person was a baby girl and not a woman aged 70 or 80!

I hope i can find evidence regarding Henry's second marriage which may indicate he was a widower, and married his second wife, Jane Mary in the late 50's.  This would fit with Henry's and Isabella Martha's daughter, also called Isabella, living with them as an unmarried woman in her early to mid thirties.   I found an Ancestry.co.uk 1871 census entry for the three of them - living in Bethnal Green.  Isabella junior did eventually marry, a plasterer, George Barrett (bc1849) from Bethnal Green; Isabella jnr was born in 1838 (i have her cert).  Isabella and George Barrett's first child was a girl, also called Isabella, born in 1876.  She had 3 more children.  She attended my great grandfather's death in 1893 (as per his death cert) and appeared on the 1901 census with her family in Bethnal Green!  i now have to ascertain her death year.

Again,
Many thanks and much gratitude for bearing with me,
Julie :-*

Offline KN

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 14 November 11 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Found myself in the Berks Record Office at Reading last week and couldn't resist having a look for our old friend Isabella Martha.

I looked through the parish records for the Reading parishes as it was never clear whether the previous researcher had looked for Isabella Martha Wright or just any Isabellas.

Very disappointed to report that I had no "eureka" moments: Marthas are rare, Isabellas even more so!

I also checked the marriage records and found nothing that could be a marriage between an Isabella M ?, and a Mr Wright, as we had wondered if Isabella had been married before she married Henry Kemp.

Since then I have looked again online, and find that a new set of data has been made available - the London Metropolitan archives.  I've found a burial of Isabella Martha Kemp on 21st March 1852, aged 47, at St Giles in the Fields, I think that the abode reads "College Street".
Also the baptism of Henry William Horatio Kemp, 7th Feb 1830, parents Henry & Isabella. This is before their marriage.

so a question:  Jill, you kindly checked neighbouring parishes - but did you check for any Isabellas or more specifically Isabella Martha Wrights, and are there any likely marriages between Isabella and a Mr Wright?

and I wonder if Julie ever got hold of the birth certificates of any of the other children - might help?

would love to know!

KN

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Weaving, Drewe, Lay, Daly, Walker - Berkshire & Oxfordshire
Wood - Worcester, Hampshire, Wiltshire
Stone - Barnwood, Gloucestershire

All census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dillybert

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 14 November 11 14:06 GMT (UK) »
The Henry Kemp that marries Jane Mary Bell in 1858 describes himself as of full age, widower, Cabriolet Proprietor, living in Shoe Lane. Father William Kemp, Farmer.

So sounds like this is what happens to Henry.
SMITH - Brewood/Coven, Staffs; FORSTER, Staffs; BIGGS - Lidlington, Beds; WILLCOCKS, Devon/South London; ALLEN - IOW/SouthLondon

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 14 November 11 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dillybert and KN,
Thank you both very much for your perseverance!  Very impressed.
More recently i've devoted myself to my father's maternal line as i have felt i'd reached an impasse with my Kemps, and certainly Isabella Martha.
Isabella Martha is given, in full name on the few family docs i have.  I acknowledge that a mother and her dtr who shared the same name may have renounced daily use of her own first name to avoid confusion.  This occurs in the tree of my George Kemp's wife's family of origin.
Re IMKemp's death i do have a GRO extract which has a Martha Kemp wife of HK a Cabriolet Proprietor who dies at the address i have for the family in the 1851 census!  The 'Informant', a woman unknown to me, was living at the address the Kemps lived at on the 1841 census! It gives her age as 47.  Death in RD of St Pancras, subdist of Tottenham, in Middlesex.  So am convinced this is my lady.  Perhaps her burial is as you indicate KN!  Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Thus IMWK's birth year must be c1805, not the 1810 i have which (Familysearch) shows her parents as George and Sarah Wright or the other George and Charlotte who md in 1809, both in Berkshire.
Of course any further info most gladly appreciated.

Kind regards
Julie