Author Topic: Isabella Martha Wright  (Read 14780 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Martha Wright
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 January 08 17:25 GMT (UK) »
If she was born circa 1803 (as per censuses) but didn't marry Henry Kemp until 1835 (i.e. aged about 32) - isn't it likely that she was married previously?

Should we be looking for her previous marriage to a Mr Wright?

Julie, when the Reading Archivist did a search of the 3 Reading parishes for you, did they give you a list of any Isabellas they'd found baptised around this date?

I've got St Mary Reading PRs and can confirm that there are no Isabel(la)s baptised there between 1798 and 1808.

Have you found her on the 1861 census? Or a death?

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 January 08 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - me again!

I think I've found her death on FreeBMD -

Isabella Martha Kemp DecQ 1864 Kensington Ref. 1a 38.

So, she should be on the 1861 census. Unfortunately, the indexes don't give age at death as early as 1861, so you'd have to get the death cert.

It would also be good to know that the 1861 census confirms her likely birthdate and birthplace.

Jill
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hello. Am willing to share tree where appropriate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 January 08 04:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jill,
 :)
Look, thank you so much for you wonderful input.  Also thanks lots to KN. :-*

I have to say Jill that your idea re Isabella possibly being a widow/divorcee  prior to marrying Henry Kemp (b1799) is very good.  I will look into it.

Re input from Reading Archivist, Lisa Spurrier:  she emailed me Jan 10 with the following (synopsis):

she searched the 3 main parishes of St Giles, St Laurence, and St Mary's along with the Baptist and Independent churches.  There were certainly a no of Wrights but no IMW.  Lisa looked 10 years either side of 1803.

Lisa suggested that IMW may not have been born in Reading, and suggested as i think you checked above Jill.

I have obtained the Nov 16 1864 ST John Paddington, Kensington death certificate but the female person was only 14 years old, and the daughter of William Kemp.  She died of typhoid in St Mary's Hospt.

I came across another death entry for an IMK and have sent away for it on 5/1/08.  The age given in the death index was "0" but i'm wondering if it meant to read as either 70 or 80 years of age.  The registration district is Whitechapel 1c, p253, in 1870 OND.  So here's hoping!!!!  There a only a few Isabella Kemps, and less IMK's.

What i have then at this point for my Isabella is this:

birth:  c 1803, "Reading, Berkshire"
last census entry found:  1851 and living with Henry Kemp and children:

her 3 children:  Henry jr b 1836 d 1908; Isabella jr b 1838, no death found yet; George b 1840, d 1893.  George is my greatgrandfather.

Re Isabella and Henry Kemp snr:

I wonder if they divorced!?!  Was it possible?
Did she die well before Henry?:  my favoured spec.
Henry is given as a witness to his sons' weddings:  Henry jr's 2nd marriage in 1878 and George's first marriage in 1881.  Henry senior is described on both as a "Gentleman".  I have both marriage certs.

I found a Henry Kemp on the 1871 census but he was then married to a Mary Jane ? but an "Unmarried" Isabella aged 30 was living with them.  I've taken this to mean that this "Unmarried" Isabella is actually the daughter of both Henry and his first wife, Isabella Martha Wright/Kemp, now deceased.  Isabella jr did marry later in the 1870's to a George Barrett about 11 years younger than her, although she's fudged her birth year on the censuses - deliberate or otherwise!  Bless Her.  Isabella junior went on to have 4 children naming them, Isabella (again!!), Henry, George and Ann. 

So, I think that maybe the 1870 death cert above for IMW/Kemp may be my lady, allowing Henry senior to marry Mary Jane not long after IMK's death.  They went to live as per the 1871 census in:  Minchester St, Bethnal Green  [extended family living there]: census RG 10 498; then in 1881 RG 11/1734 they (Henry and Mary Jane) are living in 1 Hawthorn Villa, Snakes Lane, Woodford, West Ham, Essex.  On these censuses Henry gives his birthplace as Leverton, Hungerford, Berkshire!  Chilton Foliat is a stone's throw away!  So i feel convinced (well almost!) that this has to be my Henry - my great great grandfather.  Bless Him.  On much earlier censuses Henry usually gives his birthplace as "Leverton, Hungerford" so there's some consistency, if not accuracy.

In 1891 Mary Jane is given as a "Widow" living on her own means.  So gggfther Henry dies between 1881 and 91.  So i've got to dig there.

So, in ending Jill,

Would you be able to examine the birth registers of the following Berkshire parishes please:  Shinfield, Burghfield, Tilehurst and Caversham for a possible birth of Isabella Martha Wright?  I will delve into whether when she married Henry Kemp was she already a widow?

I look forward to reading from you JILL.
Warm regards,
Julie

BOYD: Scotland
FERGUSON: Scotland
KEMP:  Wiltshire, Berkshire, Middlesex, Essex, England
GREEN & DEEVES:  Essex, Middlesex, Suffolk, England
MCPHERSON:  Sutherland-Highlands, Edinburgh, Scotland
MILES & MOWAT:  England, South Africa; Australia
GREATREX: England; South Australia
PERKINS:  Cornwall; South Australia
WATKINS: Wales

Offline dillybert

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 January 08 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm, this is the most likely marriage (so far in BMD, etc etc),:

Jun 1858 - West London (1c, 106)
Jane Mary Bell and Henry Kemp

which is kind of annoying if IMK is dead by then...

I'll see if we can find some of them in 1861
dilly
SMITH - Brewood/Coven, Staffs; FORSTER, Staffs; BIGGS - Lidlington, Beds; WILLCOCKS, Devon/South London; ALLEN - IOW/SouthLondon

Offline KN

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 January 08 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Julie
How about a message on the London message board of Rootschat to ask if anyone has access to the Holborn PRs?
If someone could find the details of the marriage it MIGHT list witnesses/parents or maybe note if the bride was a widow.

KN
Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Weaving, Drewe, Lay, Daly, Walker - Berkshire & Oxfordshire
Wood - Worcester, Hampshire, Wiltshire
Stone - Barnwood, Gloucestershire

All census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 January 08 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello dilly and KN.

Thank you for your wonderful input.  It's really exciting to have such.

KN i will do the London PRs; what a good idea.

Just to acknowledge your earlier find :  i do have Isabella and Henry's 1835 marriage details as per Pallots Index.

Dilly i'm just wondering if that 1858 marriage is just a wee bit early?  It may not be so i will look into it.  Thanks!

Cheers Ladies,
Julie

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 January 08 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie and all,

I've already checked Caversham PRs- with no luck. I also checked a few other nearby Oxon parishes - Sonning, Goring, Whitchurch, Shiplake, Henley but again with no luck. Sorry, I don't have access to Tilehurst, Shinfield or Burghfield.

Pity about that 1864 death - I thought we'd nailed her!

You haven't mentioned the 1861 census (or did I miss that?). Have you tried to find Isabella on the 1861? I don't have a subscription to Ancestry, so afraid I can't help there. perhaps someone else can oblige. Unless I've missed something (which is perfectly likely  ::)) you only have the 1851 census which gives her birthplace as Reading. The 1841 would just tell you whether she was born in or out of the county they were living in. As we all know, census enumerators make mistakes( no!  ;D) so it would be good to have confirmation of Reading as her birthplace if she could be found on the 1861.

As you mentioned that Henry may be from Hungerford - this is probably too late, but have you seen the IGI baptism in Hungerford for an Isabella Wright 15 April 1810 (born 4 March 1810), d/o George Wright & Sarah Belcher? I discounted it originally because it's a lot later than your remit and also about 30 miles from Reading.

Jill

HELP!!!

Offline KN

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 January 08 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Also in the Hungerford batches of the IGI - a marriage for Isabella Wright and one William Runger on June 14 1832.  I guess the bride is likely to be the Isabella that Jill has just found, and can probably be discounted.  But it all adds to the fun!

KN
Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Weaving, Drewe, Lay, Daly, Walker - Berkshire & Oxfordshire
Wood - Worcester, Hampshire, Wiltshire
Stone - Barnwood, Gloucestershire

All census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 13 January 08 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill,

Jeez your good!

Thank you.

I sure want to nail this lady!

I have looked on the 1861 census for IMW/K with no luck.
I will look again of course.
The 1851 census only gives "Berks. Reading".
The 1841 census only gives "not born in the county" which was Pancras, Marylebone, i think then in Middlesex or was it London?

Re Henry:  i will check out the IGI.  It sounds attractive but disappointing that it's about 7 years later.  I have to say though that many dates with others often amount to about 7 years discrepancies! 

Jill, do you think its useful to forward searches from the phone books of the early 20thC?  I find it amazing that i have yet come across anyone from the Kemp family which seemed to have prospered in and around London?  I have read something of the 1911 census in part is likely coming out next year.

Warmest thanks,
Julie